Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Installing Oxygen on my computer(Want previous version)
Installing Oxygen on my computer [message #1796923] Mon, 22 October 2018 10:47 Go to next message
Anders Hagalisletto is currently offline Anders HagalislettoFriend
Hi,
you have changed the Eclipse Installer recently. Now i do not know how to install Eclipse Oxygen anymore. Previously Eclipse had an option (in the Eclipse Installler) where we could choose version (for instance Oxygen). There are problems with the newer versions of Eclipse - related to our application. We cannot use them yet. I have not found any sources on how to do this properly. Can somebody help me (urgent)?
I only need to install Oxygen (64 bits on windows).

After a time-consuming search on the Eclipse pages i finally found Oxygen directories an files (zip) but now instruction on how to launch/install/start it.

Any help is welcome.

Best wishes

anders
Re: Installing Oxygen on my computer [message #1796949 is a reply to message #1796923] Mon, 22 October 2018 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The Eclipse Installer from this page provides the options for which version to install:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Installer

The installer you download from the download page is a "crippled" version that will only install the latest version. If you keep the installer somewhere permanently and/or update up, you'll always have to option to install any available version of Eclipse without downloading the installer itself again.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Installing Oxygen on my computer [message #1797203 is a reply to message #1796923] Sun, 28 October 2018 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
Anders,
could you post the link to OLDER Oxygen downloads ?
I have recently lost my Oxygen March 2018 and would like to get it back.
Actually I would prefer even older versions - March 2018 seems to be last of the Oxygen and not the best.
Re: Installing Oxygen on my computer [message #1797212 is a reply to message #1797203] Sun, 28 October 2018 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
This page has links to the different releases of Eclipse.
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release
Re: Installing Oxygen on my computer [message #1797213 is a reply to message #1797212] Sun, 28 October 2018 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
David, thanks.
Your reply is very helpful.

Would you know where I can get CORRECT version of Java too?

I have unknown version of Oxygen I tried to install and got ton of "...you need Java 1.8..."
I am not sure how I managed to make Oxygen April 2018 to "work" but I know Match 2018 was much more "user friendly / predictable ".

Actually - as a follow -up question , if do not mind -
HOW do I tell my current version of Oxygen WHICH Java version it is using?
I know I can query for Java proper, but have no idea what Oxygen is actually using.

It seems very odd that Eclipse , Oxygen in particular , needs such "ancient" version of Java.

Addendum
Successfully installed and running Oxygen #3 (March 2018)
No longer have to close / open project to update dirty source files.

The key is - "installer" does not install older versions of anything!
Now busy cleaning up the mess of various "versions" of Eclipse.

Lesson learn - if it ain't broke DO NOT UPDATE !

Hopefully case closed , but NOT SOLVED!

SORRY FOR THE HIJACK!

[Updated on: Sun, 28 October 2018 16:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Installing Oxygen on my computer [message #1797226 is a reply to message #1797213] Sun, 28 October 2018 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Have you tried the expert mode of the installer?

Just click the menu box (horizontal stripes on top right) and select Expert Mode.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Installing Oxygen on my computer [message #1801429 is a reply to message #1797213] Fri, 18 January 2019 22:12 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Anne Creek wrote on Sun, 28 October 2018 11:42

Actually - as a follow -up question , if do not mind -
HOW do I tell my current version of Oxygen WHICH Java version it is using?
I know I can query for Java proper, but have no idea what Oxygen is actually using.

It seems very odd that Eclipse , Oxygen in particular , needs such "ancient" version of Java.

For that first part, in the About dialog hit the Installation Details button. The Configuration tab of that dialog then contains the Java system properties for what's being used to run Eclipse (and a lot more). You'll need to scroll down a page or two.

For the second, it's tied to the changes in Oracle's support policies: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html . 8 only seems ancient because 9 and 10 were only current for 6 months each (and are already out of support in favor of 11, which will be around longer).

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Unable to open Eclipse oxygen - window 10
Next Topic:failed to install eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:42:32 GMT 2024