Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How do I download Plugins outside of the Eclipse IDE?(How to acquire physical plugins without using MarketPlace)
How do I download Plugins outside of the Eclipse IDE? [message #1796023] Thu, 04 October 2018 09:00 Go to next message
p c is currently offline p cFriend
Hi
In my org I use Eclipse but access to Marketplace is locked down as a risk behind the firewall. In the past a selection of common plugins were downloaded by an admin, scanned, sign off and stored in a shared area as zip files for us to pick up as needed to avoid unmonitored downloading of content within the network. I would like to upgrade to a later version of Eclipse. Is there anyway plugins can be downloaded from Marketplace outside the Eclipse IDE, as a zip or file bundle without having to use the Eclipse Marketplace link in the IDE?
I need to be able to download a standalone plugin package and be able to manually install it in my eclipse ide as an archive through the install new software wizard. Is this possible?
Re: How do I download Plugins outside of the Eclipse IDE? [message #1796092 is a reply to message #1796023] Fri, 05 October 2018 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

That's going to vary solution by solution, unfortunately. Some won't provide a downloadable update site. You can try following the support link for the particular solution.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: How do I download Plugins outside of the Eclipse IDE? [message #1796097 is a reply to message #1796092] Fri, 05 October 2018 06:12 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
A very general approach that works even if no update site zip is provided is to mirror the repository.

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Repository_Mirroring

E.g., I have this utility bash script for that purpose:
#!/bin/sh

eclipse="/d/sandbox/oomph-master/eclipse/eclipse.exe"

if [[ $# != 2 ]]; then
  echo "mirror-eclipse <source-URL> <targetURL>"
else
 $eclipse -nosplash -verbose \
   -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.repository.mirrorApplication \
   -source $1 \
   -destination $2
 $eclipse -nosplash -verbose \
   -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.repository.mirrorApplication \
   -source $1 \
   -destination $2
fi

exit

Every Eclipse installation includes the mirror application, so in this script I have hard coded one installation to use, and I can pass that script a URL of the p2 update site to mirror (both the artifacts and the metadata) and a URL (file:/...) pointing at a local disk folder where I want the results to end up. This result you can either use directly with the same file:/ URL pointing at your local file system, or you could zip it and point at the zip.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Error on initialising Eclipse
Next Topic:Start up error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:19:45 GMT 2024