Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » How do I debug what the native proxy provider is doing(Forced to use manual provider because native does not work)
How do I debug what the native proxy provider is doing [message #1795915] Tue, 02 October 2018 10:19 Go to next message
Alex Mising name is currently offline Alex Mising nameFriend
Hello,

I use a Windows workstation behind a firewall and need to configure a proxy. The Internet Options rely on an configuration script (Use automatic configuration script) which has a URL that points to a PAC file.

In both Eclipse 4.8 and 4.9 the "Native" provider does not work. When I try to access update sites to install new software or update my installation, I get "HTTP Proxy Authentication Required"

If I set the provider to manual and enter the proxy address/port to the HTTP/HTTPS proxy entries, I am able to update and install new software even though I am never prompted for a password (Requires authentications is NOT checked when I set the proxy address/port).

Since the exceptions list is quite complex (which I currently manage with "proxy bypass" list) I would like to switch to the native provider.

Questions:

1) Is configuration via PAC supposed to work? Can eclipse invoke the Javascript to figure out what server to use for the page?

2) How can I enable debugging to see what Eclipse is doing (what the parameters to FindProxyForURL invocations are, what is returned, what errors occur).

[Updated on: Tue, 02 October 2018 10:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do I debug what the native proxy provider is doing [message #1795925 is a reply to message #1795915] Tue, 02 October 2018 13:32 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
It has been ages since I looked at the proxy code, and I don't have any experience with the "Native" proxy which is Windows-only. I suspect you'll need to crack open the debugger and launch Eclipse within Eclipse with some strategically placed breakpoints. The classes you're interested in are:

• org.eclipse.core.internal.net.ProxyManager, and specifically put a breakpoint on `select(URI)`
  • org.eclipse.core.net.ProxyProvider: this is the "Native" provider

Brian.
Previous Topic:Cannot Install "Eclipse PDE Patch with Java 11 support for 2018-09 development stream"
Next Topic:How can I write code for a custom launch configuration WITH maven dependencies?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:01:26 GMT 2024