Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » [Equinox] [java 10] Missing service: org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin
[Equinox] [java 10] Missing service: org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin [message #1795703] Thu, 27 September 2018 06:16 Go to next message
Tharindu Wijewardane is currently offline Tharindu WijewardaneFriend
Hi all,

I am trying to upgrade an OSGi based software platform (Wso2 Carbon version 4) to be able to run on java 10. I have upgraded OSGi dependencies to Luna and I was able to build it with java 8. When the framework is launched on java 10 some bundles are not activated due to the missing service org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin.

osgi> b 98
org.wso2.carbon.core_4.4.3511 [98]
  Id=98, Status=RESOLVED    Data Root=/Users/tharindu/IdeaProjects/luna-carbon-kernel/distribution/product/modules/distribution/target/wso2carbon-4.4.3511/repository/components/default/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/98/data
  "No registered services."
  No services in use.
gogo: IllegalStateException: Missing service: org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin
osgi> 

Any clue to solve the above issue is highly appreciated.
Re: [Equinox] [java 10] Missing service: org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin [message #1795706 is a reply to message #1795703] Thu, 27 September 2018 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I don't think Luna will run on Java 10. Why not upgrade to Photon or 2018-09?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: [Equinox] [java 10] Missing service: org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin [message #1795710 is a reply to message #1795706] Thu, 27 September 2018 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have tried with Photon and I was not able to build it. I have posted about that here: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1095003/
Next I decided to try with luna because luna maven dependencies were already available in the company maven repo. (Since equinox artifacts are not published in maven central repo we have to download and manually install them in a local/company repo.)
Do you think I should try it with Oxygen?

[Updated on: Thu, 27 September 2018 08:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Equinox] [java 10] Missing service: org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin [message #1795738 is a reply to message #1795710] Thu, 27 September 2018 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Watson is currently offline Thomas WatsonFriend
See https://search.maven.org/search?q=g:org.eclipse.platform%20AND%20a:org.eclipse.osgi&core=gav for the versions published to maven by the Eclipse project.
Re: [Equinox] [java 10] Missing service: org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin [message #1795740 is a reply to message #1795703] Thu, 27 September 2018 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This particular issue is because with Luna the org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin service got removed from the framework. You can add it back by including the fragment org.eclipse.osgi.compatibility.state

But to be clear, Oxygen would be the first release to really work on Java 9 or later. And if you are upgrading, you should move up to the very latest.
Re: [Equinox] [java 10] Missing service: org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin [message #1795811 is a reply to message #1795740] Sat, 29 September 2018 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you very much. Adding that bundle fixed the issue.
Since I have already put some effort on Luna I like to try a little further with it. I will upgrade to a later version if I hit another issue like this one.
Re: [Equinox] [java 10] Missing service: org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin [message #1795861 is a reply to message #1795811] Mon, 01 October 2018 13:09 Go to previous message
Luna release included a significant refactoring of the Equinox framework in order to accommodate changes in the OSGi R6 specification and get rid of some long term technical dept. All releases after Luna I expect to be a pretty straight forward migration to. So the effort to get to Luna should not be a waste since it should help with your migration to the latest release.
Previous Topic:[Equinox] [java 10] Missing service: org.eclipse.osgi.service.resolver.PlatformAdmin
Next Topic:How to trigger multiple changes via different p2.inf files in eclipse?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:01:47 GMT 2024