Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Project missing .project/ Wrong project location(One of my java projects won't open)
Project missing .project/ Wrong project location [message #1795138] Sun, 16 September 2018 16:08 Go to next message
Aaron McCormick is currently offline Aaron McCormickFriend
When I came back to one of my java projects i started a while back. Eclipse gave me an error message based on it could not find the .project file in my directory.
After verifying its existence, I looked a little bit closer and my resourse location was wrong.
I unfortunately just replaced my boot drive and now this location doesn't exist anymore. Anyone know how to change this without recreating the directory?
Re: Project missing .project/ Wrong project location [message #1795145 is a reply to message #1795138] Mon, 17 September 2018 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm trying to imagine the problem. The .project file's XML contains a name element which is the logic name of the project as it appears in the workspace, which can be different from the physical name of the project folder. Is there a problem with this? The .project file does not contain the location. The location is managed by various files in the low-level details nested in the <workspace>/.metadata/... If you have moved your workspace, it may stop working. Is this the problem?

In that case you should create a new workspace and use File -> Import... -> General -> Existing Projects into Workspace and locate the folder containing all your projects (perhaps they are all physically in the old workspace?), to import them into your new workspace; note that this wizard can link to the projects' actual current locations or can copy them into the workspace...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Project missing .project/ Wrong project location [message #1795169 is a reply to message #1795145] Mon, 17 September 2018 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe my error is being caused by replacing the hard drive the project was stored on. In that case I will try to import the project to a new workspace.
Re: Project missing .project/ Wrong project location [message #1795172 is a reply to message #1795169] Mon, 17 September 2018 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it imported but unfortunately now I have about 65 error msg about my build path being wrong. Do you know a faster way to fix this instead of correcting the build path one at a time?
Re: Project missing .project/ Wrong project location [message #1795198 is a reply to message #1795172] Tue, 18 September 2018 09:36 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Of course I don't know what's wrong with your classpaths, but perhaps a global search and replace of the .classpath's contents would do the trick. Note that in the Package Explorer (and similar views) you can use File -> Filters... and uncheck ".* resources" so that you can see things like the .project and .classpath files in the workspace (and then can search them and do global replacements on them).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:eclipse not recognising characters such as "++" or ","
Next Topic:MessageManager doesn't display message in header on Form open
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 06:22:27 GMT 2024