Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » controlling / overriding mirrors . . .(We need to be able to override mirror sites for installations and updates.)
controlling / overriding mirrors . . . [message #1795064] Thu, 13 September 2018 20:24 Go to next message
Dallas GimpelFriend
Hi -
Our network security strategy includes the use of a proxy server. Sometime in the last 6 to 8 months or so, we lost our ability to update Eclipse itself and Eclipse plugins automatically via update sites. The Eclipse Marketplace client also stopped working for installation of new plugins, etc. We determined that our proxy server was denying access to the underlying mirror sites to which most (all?) update requests were being passed, thus preventing anyone from updating plugins or obtaining new software via Eclipse Marketplace.

We have now determined that sites are being denied (at least in part) by geo-location. Network security is necessarily strict at my employer so updating our proxy server is unfortunately not an option for us. For our purposes, we'd like to be able to update / install using servers that reside, for example, in the US. Is there any way to control which mirror site is used?

I did find this thread in which the last two responses suggest that the answer to my question is "no".

respectfully,
dgg
Re: controlling / overriding mirrors . . . [message #1795070 is a reply to message #1795064] Fri, 14 September 2018 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If the download.eclipse.org server's transparent mirroring system is visible on the client side, which the other thread suggests is the case, then there is no way to avoid that when using that server.

One approach that might work is to use a specific mirror URL directly. E.g., you can use a URL like this one to discover which servers have mirrors for the Photon composite:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/releases/photon/compositeContent.jar

The query string's file parameter's value must be the path of one of metadata files in the repository, which depends on the type of repository, e.g., compositeContent.jar, compositeContent.xml, content.jar, content.xml, or content.xml.xz.

If I download the file from a server that looks like one I might want to use directly, I can see in the browser from which URL it was downloaded to determine which server is a mirror. E.g., in this case I can discover that the following US-based location is a mirror for Photon:

http://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/eclipse/releases/photon/

I believe you could then directly use that URL instead...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: controlling / overriding mirrors . . . [message #1795225 is a reply to message #1795070] Tue, 18 September 2018 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dallas GimpelFriend
Thanks for your response. That's an interesting approach and it definitely helps in terms of being able to update Eclipse itself. However, we're still unable to use the Marketplace client for the purposes of updating / adding plugins, etc. I wondered if this might be a decent fit for Oomph. Coincidentally, while looking into it, I came across this video.

respectfully,
dgg
Re: controlling / overriding mirrors . . . [message #1795253 is a reply to message #1795225] Wed, 19 September 2018 10:36 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes though market place client just helps specify an update site and it IUs from which to install them. It's just hard to see those details... We started to look at generating an Oomph representation from the marketplace client data, but that's a lot of work.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Folded Code Preview Colors
Next Topic:Dummies : EchoLine
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:33:27 GMT 2024