Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Could someone help me create a commit?
Could someone help me create a commit? [message #1794613] Mon, 03 September 2018 21:54 Go to next message
Ethan Freeman is currently offline Ethan FreemanFriend
I've encountered an annoying bug (#537873), and it seems rather simple, so I would like to fix it myself.

This is my first time contributing to an open source project, and I am not super advanced at Java, so I would really appreciate it if someone could take some time to walk me through fixing this bug.

If someone could help me this time, I would be happy to use the experience to fix some other simple bugs to pay back the community.

I would really appreciate your time. Thanks.
Re: Could someone help me create a commit? [message #1794673 is a reply to message #1794613] Tue, 04 September 2018 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
First question: have you tried / succeeded to create a workspace with the relevant JDT sources?
If not, your first steps could be along the lines of https://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT_Code_Setup_Using_Oomph

OTOH, before diving deep into the code please outline your proposed solution in the bug, to ensure it doesn't conflict with other interests.
Re: Could someone help me create a commit? [message #1794686 is a reply to message #1794673] Wed, 05 September 2018 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My proposed solution is to add an option under preferences -> Java -> Editor -> Content assist. The option would be a checkbox, and it would say "Only insert suggestions when enter key is pressed". I have not yet created a workspace with the sources, because I am not entirely sure which ones I need. I think that I need eclipse.platform.text, but I am not sure which others, if any. Do I only need eclipse.platform.text, or are there any others I am missing?
Re: Could someone help me create a commit? [message #1794700 is a reply to message #1794686] Wed, 05 September 2018 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
There's also a tutorial for provisioning a workspace with the source code for the entire Eclipse Platform SDK using Oomph:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Platform_SDK_Provisioning

This will of course be way more than you actually need, but the point is that all of the platform's projects have Oomph setups.

What you describe would of course be implemented in JDT's source, i.e., it's a preference on the one of JDT's preference pages. But you might also need to change something in the APIs JDT uses for content assist.

You can start with JDT's setup, as Stephan suggested, and you can later use "File -> Import... -> Oomph -> Projects into Workspace" to add "Eclipse Projects -> Platform -> Text" to your workspace if you need that. As I said, all of the Platform SDK has associated Oomph setups so you can add any of the ones you find out later that you need.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Could someone help me create a commit? [message #1794747 is a reply to message #1794700] Thu, 06 September 2018 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am still a little unclear on exactly which packages will need changing. Where would I add an option the preferences menu?
Re: Could someone help me create a commit? [message #1794758 is a reply to message #1794747] Thu, 06 September 2018 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The PDE Spy is quite useful for answering questions such as this, try Alt-Shift-F1 and Alt-Shift-F2. If you install the source, you can also search for classes with likely names, e.g, *Preference*. If you debug launch, you can set breakpoints to see what's going on. Or you might stop the process when a dialog is showing and then on the main thread you can see how the dialog is launched. I work a lot on unfamiliar code and such these types approaches to figure out where things are implemented, because generally no one will answer those questions for me and even if they would, it would take longer to wait that figuring it out for myself.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Could someone help me create a commit? [message #1794786 is a reply to message #1794758] Thu, 06 September 2018 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
My proposed solution is to add an option under preferences -> Java -> Editor -> Content assist. The option would be a checkbox, and it would say "Only insert suggestions when enter key is pressed".

Let's please transfer such discussion into the bug, so we have it all in one place, and no-one is surprised when a proposed fix appears and what exactly it implements. TIA.
Re: Could someone help me create a commit? [message #1794913 is a reply to message #1794786] Mon, 10 September 2018 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will continue this discussion in bug #348857. Please see the new comments.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 September 2018 23:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Could someone help me create a commit? [message #1794931 is a reply to message #1794913] Tue, 11 September 2018 09:41 Go to previous message
Ethan Freeman wrote on Tue, 11 September 2018 01:53
I will continue this discussion in bug #348857. Please see the new comments.

So, Ethan Freeman here is the same person as bob ross in bugzilla?
Previous Topic:Right way of working with GIT
Next Topic:JUnit-Tests using Mockito fail when running all of them
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:36:37 GMT 2024