Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » Forte not in 4Diac IDE
Forte not in 4Diac IDE [message #1794128] Fri, 24 August 2018 08:02 Go to next message
Alexander Buer is currently offline Alexander BuerFriend
Hello,

I'm an automation technician, so I pretty much never program aside from Siemens function blocks and similar things.

I tried to install 4Diac by downloading the 4Diac IDE, the support page says that Forte is preinstalled and can be used by pointing the Window -> Preferences -> Forte Preferences to Forte.exe.

There is no Forte.exe anywhere to be found, what am I doing wrong here?

Thanks, Alex
Re: Forte not in 4Diac IDE [message #1794224 is a reply to message #1794128] Mon, 27 August 2018 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Brown is currently offline Larry BrownFriend
You have to download the runtime. That is FORTE. You can compile it for an embedded device or a PC running linux or windows (via MinGW). Once it is compiled for your platform, you start it running. Then with the 4Diac IDE you create and deploy an application to it. FBRT is a Java program that could run in place of FORTE but it is also not included in the 4Diac IDE even though the documentation said it was. I found FBRT is no longer compatible with FORTE or 4Diac, but I'm a newbie so maybe I'm missing something. But I did use 4diac IDE with an application that was split between a PC running FORTE and an embedded device running FORTE last week and it does work.
Re: Forte not in 4Diac IDE [message #1794230 is a reply to message #1794224] Mon, 27 August 2018 18:42 Go to previous message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

Hi,

I would like to add a few additional things to Larries answer. Yes currently we are not able to have FBRT and FORTE binaries packaged to the IDE. There are several reasons for that and I hope we can resolve them soon. We are also working on updating the docs.

As Larry pointed out you can always download the FORTE sources and build an own binary for your tests. However for getting started this may be a bit heavy. SO for your first experiments you can get a FORTE binary and an suitable FBRT by downloading 4diac-ide 1.8.4. There you can find the runtime folder as described in the tutorials. With these runtimes although a bit older you can get through the starting tutirals. But please don't use 4diac-ide 1.8.4. The latest version of the IDE is definitely much better.
Previous Topic:How to use ROS
Next Topic:Forte 1.9.1 runs on Vocore2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 05:37:47 GMT 2024