Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Upgrade from Oxygen to Photon reverts back
Upgrade from Oxygen to Photon reverts back [message #1793928] Mon, 20 August 2018 15:20 Go to next message
Mark Vaughan is currently offline Mark VaughanFriend
Jonas Jonauskas wrote on Thu, 16 August 2018 08:05
Hello,
I have a problem with eclipse upgrade from oxygen to photon.
I added http://download.eclipse.org/releases/photon to
Window > Preferences > Install/Update > Available Software Sites
and then did Help>check for updates >update.
Everything seems ok, eclipse restarts after upgrade and loads as Photon, in eclipse Help> About , i can see that the version is Photon.
But when I exit eclipse , and start it again, eclipse somehow becomes Oxygen version and loads me Oxygen instead of Photon.
It seems that Photon version just vanishes. I tried to upgrade several times, but always get same result.
Why is that happening?

I am having this same issue, so thought I'd post it outside of the C++ forum and provide some of my environment details. Note that Jonas' may differ.

More info: I am running on Windows 10 Home and Windows 7 Pro. Both are installed using Admin privs. I normally run not as an Admin but am forced to do so in order to upgrade anything within the IDE.
Re: Upgrade from Oxygen to Photon reverts back [message #1794057 is a reply to message #1793928] Thu, 23 August 2018 04:13 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I assume you installed the Oxygen installation with the Eclipse installer. It creates an installation that really want to be some version of Oxygen...

At some point, when you manually updated to Photon, and restarted, the IDE would have asked you (with admittedly not the most user friendly dialog), if you wanted to change your installation to match the unsatisfied requirements that you used to install it, so you must have said yes to that and I suppose you check marked to remember to always do that, so now it will always want to automatically ensure that Oxygen is what you have installed.

There are a couple of ways to configure this differently...

The simplest is Window -> Preferences... -> Oomph -> Setup Tasks and check "Skip automatic task execution on startup".

The more complex thing is to Navigate -> Open Setup -> Installation, double click on the root object in the setup editor, and in the properties view, edit the Product Version property to choose "Photon (Eclipse.org - Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers)". This is of course more flexible and you can do this the next time there is a new release. If you always want to update to the latest release, you could also choose "Latest Release (Photon) (Eclipse.org - Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers)" and then you IDE will automatically update to the latest release as soon as their is a newer release. There is even "Latest (2018-09) (Eclipse.org - Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers)" which will install the most recent milestone build that will eventually become the next release.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:epf..eclipse.org is down
Next Topic:Newbie question: how create new topic on Eclipse-Titan forum?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:42:27 GMT 2024