Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » [GEF5] Using GEF5 without JavaFX
[GEF5] Using GEF5 without JavaFX [message #1793563] Fri, 10 August 2018 08:25 Go to next message
Sv Gl is currently offline Sv GlFriend
Hi,

I'm working on Eclipse with OpenJDK 9, because of that I am not able to add JavaFX to Eclipse.

Is there any way to use GEF 5 without JavaFX?

Thank you for every help!
Re: [GEF5] Using GEF5 without JavaFX [message #1793769 is a reply to message #1793563] Wed, 15 August 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Wienand is currently offline Matthias WienandFriend
GEF is tightly coupled to JavaFX. However, you can use all parts of the framework that do not depend on JavaFX:
- GEF Common (except for the beans.* packages, probably needs some effort to setup)
- GEF Geometry (except for the convert.fx module)
- GEF Graph
- GEF Layout

However, the main MVC.FX component really does need JavaFX. So, you would have to implement custom controllers, exchanging JavaFX Node with another VisualRootType. The same applies to the event handling, i.e. you can reuse some code, but you need to rewrite a lot of code, too, due to event types, event listening, etc.

I believe GEF does provide a nice structure to start with, but it will still be a lot of work.

Best regards,
Matthias
Re: [GEF5] Using GEF5 without JavaFX [message #1793773 is a reply to message #1793769] Wed, 15 August 2018 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey Loskutov is currently offline Andrey LoskutovFriend
Matthias, do I understand it right: GEF 5 "as is" can't be used *today* (as full replacement for GEF 3) without Java FX, so one is bound to the JDK from Oracle?
Will it be better with Open JFX / Open JDK 11 (I've heard they moved Java FX out of JDK in 11), or even then GEF 5 will rely somehow on Oracle JDK?
Re: [GEF5] Using GEF5 without JavaFX [message #1801042 is a reply to message #1793773] Fri, 11 January 2019 15:40 Go to previous message
Matthias Wienand is currently offline Matthias WienandFriend
Hi Andrey,

GEF does not rely on Oracle JDK and should work fine with OpenJFX. The JavaFX code was developed openly for a longer period of time already, so the transition should not really hurt.

I still have to test GEF with Java 11, so I cannot give you details on that right now.

Best regards,
Matthias
Previous Topic:[Zest] Layout implementations and node overlapping
Next Topic:cannot load icons for Hi-DPI displays in GEF application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:11:27 GMT 2024