Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » What's the difference between <Java> and Java?(Two seemingly identical perspectives open in Eclipse)
What's the difference between <Java> and Java? [message #1793406] Tue, 07 August 2018 16:11 Go to next message
Noah Simon is currently offline Noah SimonFriend
So I just created a new Java project while I had a non-Java perspective open. Eclipse told me that a Java project is associated with the Java perspective, so I clicked OK to switch to the Java perspective. (I already had one open, but not active) ...Now I have 2 Java perspectives open at the same time, each with the same image, but one's called <Java> and the other is called Java. What's going on?
Re: What's the difference between <Java> and Java? [message #1793460 is a reply to message #1793406] Wed, 08 August 2018 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

<XXX> appears when you re-use an old workspace from an Eclipse installation with XXX installed for another Eclipse installation without XXX installed. You could just delete the <XXX>, but it suggests that you have done something weird which may come back to bite you. I should check that you have a consistent set of plugins all from the same release. Perhaps one of Python/JavaScript has locked in something bad. Perhaps you used a milestone release when there were update difficulties. Perhaps you fell foul of Java 9/10 update incompatibilities that necessitated a few "a" releases.

Probably safest to create a new Eclipse installation and if the problem persists, only then just delete the <Java>.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: What's the difference between <Java> and Java? [message #1793465 is a reply to message #1793460] Wed, 08 August 2018 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks! I'll try that now.

Edit: Hey, a new Eclipse major version is out! It's the perfect opportunity to upgrade! :)

[Updated on: Wed, 08 August 2018 18:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What's the difference between <Java> and Java? [message #1793469 is a reply to message #1793465] Wed, 08 August 2018 18:24 Go to previous message
It seems to have worked, thanks Ed Willink!
Previous Topic:Asked to accept Unsigned Content?
Next Topic:Hyo Lee Hnetinka - how i can install maven in eclipse?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:55:30 GMT 2024