Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Macintosh computers sometimes inject spurious non-printing character(Since 1990 Macs have always injected "gremlins," I first noticed this when my C programs occasionally would not compile.)
Macintosh computers sometimes inject spurious non-printing character [message #1793042] Sun, 29 July 2018 17:49
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
A "gremlin" is a non-printing char or series of chars that come from unknown sources, probably keyboard chatter, mashing a control character such as "Command" and an intended character while typing code, or maybe there is something else that I haven't thought of that might produce these unwanted characters.

I have spent the last couple of days trying to figure out why, when I made four JTextAreas three of them would show data and the fourth remained without data. I had gone to the extreme of copying individual lines from a successful box's code and inserting it above the matching line of code for the JTextArea that wouldn't work. Almost by accident I discovered that when I declared
private JTextArea txtrNW;
private JTextArea txtrNE;
private JTextArea txtrSW;
private JTextArea txtrSE;
when I retyped the fourth one, the problem went away.
What I think was happening is that when I first made the fourth line of text it would have shown something like this in BinHex:
private JTextArea txtrØSE;
All I had to do to fix the problem, once I had guessed that was what had been going on, was to delete the fourth line above and retype it.

So if you start to think that your computer is haunted, try looking for gremlins in your code.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Crashes When Autocomplete Window Opens
Next Topic:3.8.x ECLIPSE Stability with Windows 10 and Beyond
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 21:09:27 GMT 2024