Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Unable to determine gdb-multiarch version(debugging with gdb-multiarch)
Unable to determine gdb-multiarch version [message #1792972] Thu, 26 July 2018 16:36 Go to next message
Elliot Swain is currently offline Elliot SwainFriend
I have been setting up eclipse photon to cross compile and debug code for my beaglebone black wireless. I have my arm-linux-gnueabihf toolchain working and compiling code, and I can use the remote system explorer to compile transfer and execute the code on the beablebone. I have yet to get it to debug though. I have just been trying to debug a simple hello world program. Everything seems to work until eclipse calls for the gdb-multiarch version on the host. I have gdb-multiarch installed on my host (linux ubuntu 18.04) and gdbserver installed on the target (beaglebone). The debug settings seem to be correct as far as I can tell. I have the path to the gdb-multiarch and I have tried using an init file (with set architecture to arm) and without. The error message that I get is Could not determine GDB version using command: /usr/bin/gdb-multiarch --version. It seems to be an issue on the host side.

When I type gdb-multiarch --version in the terminal I get this..

GNU gdb (Ubuntu 8.1-0ubuntu3) 8.1.0.20180409-git
Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <omitted link>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<omitted link>
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<omitted link>
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".

I have searched google and read as many relative threads with somewhat similar issues, but havent been able to ascertain a resolution for myself. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Re: Unable to determine gdb-multiarch version [message #1793086 is a reply to message #1792972] Tue, 31 July 2018 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
(* deleted *)

[Updated on: Tue, 31 July 2018 01:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to determine gdb-multiarch version [message #1808272 is a reply to message #1793086] Thu, 20 June 2019 20:35 Go to previous message
Tim Lowery is currently offline Tim LoweryFriend
I am having a similar problem. From within Eclipse Photon I'm trying to debug an application compiled for 32-bit Linux on a 64-bit Linux system (Ubuntu 18.04 with up to date packages). I have a debug configuration set up using gdb-multiarch. The setting for "GDB debugger:" in the configuration is set to the absolute path to /usr/bin/gdb-multiarch (i.e., it does not depend on the PATH environment variable). When I try to start that debug configuration I get the message:

Launching <debug configuration name> has encountered a problem.
Error with command : /usr/bin/gdb-multiarch --version

The details of this are:

Error with command: /usr/bin/gdb-multiarch --version
Cannot run program "/usr/bin/gdb-multiarch": Unknown reason

Which is somewhat less than helpful. If I run "/usr/bin/gdb-multiarch --version" from the command line I get the following:

GNU gdb (Ubuntu 8.1-0ubuntu3) 8.1.0.20180409-git
Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".

Occasionally I can get this to work by exiting from Eclipse and restarting and immediately starting the debug configuration. I can then have one debugging session. But if I try to run the same debug configuation again I get the error message mentioned above, even after restarting Eclipse. Does anyone have any idea how to get around this issue?
Previous Topic:Cannot import library file from ESP32 sdk folder in "Eclipse C++ IDE for Arduino" project
Next Topic:make: *** [main.rel] Error 1
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:10:05 GMT 2024