Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » creating barcodes in BIRT Designer
creating barcodes in BIRT Designer [message #1792839] Tue, 24 July 2018 20:32 Go to next message
Ryan SheelerFriend
hello all. I am new here so apologies if this has been addressed before.

How do I create functional barcodes in BIRT Designer? I have Code 128 and Font3of9 Windows barcode fonts installed on my machine. When I use them in BIRT Designer, the output does show a bar code, but the bar code will not scan with a scanner.

Do I need any extra jars or special coding to get them to work in BIRT Designer? I've heard that a barcode needs stop characters like *123456* but I can't seem to phyiscally type a * into a BIRT report header to surround the numbers with. thanks for the help -r
Re: creating barcodes in BIRT Designer [message #1792977 is a reply to message #1792839] Thu, 26 July 2018 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan SheelerFriend
I've found a better font that works better called IDAutomationHC39M. It works great in Word and my office has used it for barcodes and labels. But I still can't get it to scan in BIRT Designer - either I have something wrong with the BIRT Designer app itself. I am using it with IBM Maximo to do work order reports. I am trying to turn a work order number (wonum field in Maximo) into a barcode but can't get it to scan.
Re: creating barcodes in BIRT Designer [message #1793135 is a reply to message #1792977] Tue, 31 July 2018 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Davis is currently offline Eric DavisFriend
I'm using Code 39, and it works great. Granted, I had to go back and forth a few times and keep increasing the width and height of the field.
Re: creating barcodes in BIRT Designer [message #1793272 is a reply to message #1793135] Thu, 02 August 2018 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan SheelerFriend
IDAutomationHC39M doesn't work for me either - although it works great in Word. Have tried it in BIRT Designer and Maximo with all sizes of fonts from 8 - 36. Still does not work. Also should add that I don't know how to add stop characters for a barcode font, into a Table Header in BIRT Designer either (if that's necessary here)
Re: creating barcodes in BIRT Designer [message #1793275 is a reply to message #1793272] Thu, 02 August 2018 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan SheelerFriend
I have also tried this as a embedded data expression to account for the stop characters. But this does not work either: "*"+dataSetRow["wonum"]+"*" (wonum being work order number, which is the field that I am trying to display as a functioning barcode)
Re: creating barcodes in BIRT Designer [message #1816213 is a reply to message #1792839] Wed, 23 October 2019 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William Zurkan is currently offline William ZurkanFriend
A custom format using *@@@@* seemed to work. The number of asterisks must correlate to number of digits...

• Attachment: Capture.PNG
    (Size: 23.13KB, Downloaded 262 times)
Re: creating barcodes in BIRT Designer [message #1831390 is a reply to message #1816213] Wed, 19 August 2020 01:46 Go to previous message
Marco Lopes is currently offline Marco LopesFriend
I've been using this PLUGIN (source code): https://code.google.com/archive/p/birt-barcode-extension/

It's not very sophisticated, but you can insert / EDIT the barcodes on the template with a "default" preview.

It relies on ZXing (you must get it from GITHUB)
Previous Topic:Report Layout printout in PDF not same issue
Next Topic:Grouped bar chart with overlayed bars
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:55:01 GMT 2024