Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Eclipse Layout Kernel » Is there a standard ELK Graph View, that understands ELK Graph and knows how to show it?(A standard implementation of the ELK Graph View)
Is there a standard ELK Graph View, that understands ELK Graph and knows how to show it? [message #1792819] Tue, 24 July 2018 12:17 Go to next message
Mindaugas Laganeckas is currently offline Mindaugas LaganeckasFriend
I have a situation, where I have an instance of the domain model and I would like to show it in a view.
I do not need an editor - only a view.
Furthermore, ELK Graph data type completely covers the domain model I am working with. Thus I could image the following:
my domain model ==> ELK Graph (a call to layout happens here) ==> ELK graph is shown in a "ELK Graph view".
If there is such "ELK Graph view", could you please, point to an example/test case, that uses it? I could not find one myself in your documentation.

Best regards,
Mindaugas Laganeckas

Re: Is there a standard ELK Graph View, that understands ELK Graph and knows how to show it? [message #1792831 is a reply to message #1792819] Tue, 24 July 2018 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christoph Daniel Schulze is currently offline Christoph Daniel SchulzeFriend
Hi Mindaugas,

no, there is not. ELK is intentionally focussed on providing automatic layout only, detached from the complexity that visualization brings. I see two ways you could proceed.

First, we do have an extremely simple layout graph view for debugging purposes that you might want to base your own simple solution on.

Much better though, I would resort to a pre-built solution. I suggest you take a look at the KLighD framework, which allows you to write visualizations rather simply and already has tight ELK integration.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Chris
Re: Is there a standard ELK Graph View, that understands ELK Graph and knows how to show it? [message #1792838 is a reply to message #1792831] Tue, 24 July 2018 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ulf Rueegg is currently offline Ulf RueeggFriend
For the record, there's also the _LayoutGraphDialog_ which renders plain ELK Graphs and may serve as a starting point to create your own solution. You can take a look at this commit. Internally it uses the same mechanisms as the layout graph view mentioned by Chris.
Re: Is there a standard ELK Graph View, that understands ELK Graph and knows how to show it? [message #1793069 is a reply to message #1792838] Mon, 30 July 2018 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindaugas Laganeckas is currently offline Mindaugas LaganeckasFriend
Thank you both for the answers.

I have a few comments:
1. I knew about KLightD framework beforehand, but it was not clear to me, that KLightD and ELK are integrated. I did not want to waste my time with KGraph and possibly outdated KLightD. Could the owners/responsible people write in their website, that KLightD and ELK are integrated? That could definitely save your time. :)
2. The bleeding edge ELK (v0.5) and the latest KLightD are no longer compatible due to the fact, that a class has been moved to another package in ELK and the same class is used by KLightD. I fixed the import problem locally, but is there an integration job, that would make sure ELK and KLightD are aligned? I guess KLightD should be updated every time backwards incompatible change is made.
3. The examples in the KLightD are no longer available. Is there an easy way to get read access to the KLightD git repository? I have checked their webpage, but I was not sure if everyone can checkout the KLightD code.

Christoph and Ulf, feel free to forward my questions/comments to the KLightD project without using too much time for answering them. :)

Best,
Mindaugas
Re: Is there a standard ELK Graph View, that understands ELK Graph and knows how to show it? [message #1793075 is a reply to message #1793069] Mon, 30 July 2018 14:19 Go to previous message
Christoph Daniel Schulze is currently offline Christoph Daniel SchulzeFriend
Mindaugas Laganeckas wrote on Mon, 30 July 2018 13:49
Thank you both for the answers.

Most welcome. :)

1. I knew about KLightD framework beforehand, but it was not clear to me, that KLightD and ELK are integrated. I did not want to waste my time with KGraph and possibly outdated KLightD. Could the owners/responsible people write in their website, that KLightD and ELK are integrated? That could definitely save your time. :)

Good idea, will do. What do you consider KLighD's website? Its Confluence Wiki page?

2. The bleeding edge ELK (v0.5) and the latest KLightD are no longer compatible due to the fact, that a class has been moved to another package in ELK and the same class is used by KLightD. I fixed the import problem locally, but is there an integration job, that would make sure ELK and KLightD are aligned? I guess KLightD should be updated every time backwards incompatible change is made.

I already fixed that. The problem persisted as long as it did because we had massive problems with the nightly ELK build. That caused the nightly KLighD build to fail, since that was already adapted to the class's new package.

In general, we see integration problems due to our nightly builds.

3. The examples in the KLightD are no longer available. Is there an easy way to get read access to the KLightD git repository? I have checked their webpage, but I was not sure if everyone can checkout the KLightD code.

Yes, KLighD is part of the KIELER Pragmatics project, whose [url=https://git.rtsys.informatik.uni-kiel.de/projects/KIELER/repos/pragmatics/browse]repository[/quote] can be cloned anonymously. You can find example projects based on KLighD as part of the OpenKieler project. Look at KlassViz, DebuKViz, and EcoreViz, for example.

Christoph and Ulf, feel free to forward my questions/comments to the KLightD project without using too much time for answering them. :)

Well, KLighD is developed here at Kiel University where I still work, so I may as well answer your questions. ;) At some point we might want to move the discussion over away from the ELK forums.

Cheers,
Chris
Previous Topic:Deactivate ELK
Next Topic:[ELK] Bind my own algorithm to my own model
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:20:26 GMT 2024