Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Accessing Eclipse Files(Installed Eclipse on New Computer File Access Issue)
Accessing Eclipse Files [message #1792581] Thu, 19 July 2018 17:56 Go to next message
Kurt Post-Hill is currently offline Kurt Post-HillFriend
We have installed Eclipse on a replacement computer. I have moved the Eclipse files from the old computer to the new one. However when we go into Eclipse I cannot get to the new files. How do I get them linked?
Re: Accessing Eclipse Files [message #1792591 is a reply to message #1792581] Fri, 20 July 2018 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You're talking about the files in the workspace? If not, which files specifically? If so, are they physically nested in that workspace? Workspaces ought to be portable, but I wouldn't count on that. If the files in question are physically nested in the workspace, start the new installation with a fresh new workspace, and use File -> Import... -> General -> Existing Projects into Workspace and use the first Browse... button to locate the old copied workspace in the file system, and then the "Projects:" section will show all the physically nested projects of that old workspace which you can then "Copy projects into workspace" (the checkbox). You can use the same procedure to copy (or link) any project into any workspace.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Accessing Eclipse Files [message #1792634 is a reply to message #1792591] Fri, 20 July 2018 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kurt Post-Hill is currently offline Kurt Post-HillFriend
Good Morning Ed

It is the files in the workspace that I had copied over from the old computer to the new one. I tried the import but that did not work either. Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong?
Re: Accessing Eclipse Files [message #1792659 is a reply to message #1792634] Fri, 20 July 2018 15:21 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You really provide no details as a basis for which I can help further. In the file system, you will need to find the folder(s) that represent project(s). A project will be a folder containing file called .project. Can you find such a folder-containing-a-.project-file in the file system? At what path is that project folder located on your new machine? Which path did you enter in the import dialog? Be sure to answer each question before asking another. If you can't find such a project folder, the importer will not be able to help you because you don't have any existing projects.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Error Deploying Persistence EJB jar in eclipse Workspace
Next Topic:Access restriction
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:53:03 GMT 2024