Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » "Variable is never used" in foreach loops
"Variable is never used" in foreach loops [message #1792520] Thu, 19 July 2018 02:00 Go to next message
Yurij Zagrebnoy is currently offline Yurij ZagrebnoyFriend
Hi,

I often use PHP foreach to iterate over array keys, like:
foreach ($list_of_keys as $key => $_) {
// ...
}

This is about 2 times faster on big arrays and doesn't consume additional memory compared to using array_keys()
foreach (array_keys($list_of_keys) as $key) {
// ...
}

The problem is that each $_ variable produces warning "Variable $_ is never used".

Is there any way to configure PHP Validator to exclude variables with certain names from checking their usage?

BTW Thank you for your great work on PDT!
Re: "Variable is never used" in foreach loops [message #1793466 is a reply to message #1792520] Wed, 08 August 2018 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Moses Lecce is currently offline Moses LecceFriend
I am also experiencing this issue, which basically means I have a bunch of warnings that can't really be resolved without implementing less optimized code.

In addition to this, I have code in third party files (that I do not wish to edit and correct) which come up as warnings (is there a way to exclude a file/directory from warnings, I cannot find such a setting).

Another scenario I cannot seem to handle is something where you are using a reference variable:

e.g.
$this = array();
$this2 =& $this;
$this2[] = "a";

Will tell me that $this2 is never used.
Re: "Variable is never used" in foreach loops [message #1794915 is a reply to message #1793466] Tue, 11 September 2018 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vladimir Paramygin is currently offline Vladimir ParamyginFriend
Yeah, having the same problem. Upgraded to Photon yesterday and now my project is littered with warnings about undefined and unused variables :(
Re: "Variable is never used" in foreach loops [message #1796669 is a reply to message #1792520] Wed, 17 October 2018 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fladnag Fladnag is currently offline Fladnag FladnagFriend
you can avoid this error with... this comment, before variable usage :

/** @var mixed $key */

But yes, Photon PDT validation is a nightmare... :
- too many false positive (output variable is undeclared, page fragment variable is undeclared, global variable is undeclared, array variable access is undeclared)
- type in comments are checked... and send ERROR if not found. You can lower or disabled it, but not for comments only.
- etc...
Re: "Variable is never used" in foreach loops [message #1796781 is a reply to message #1796669] Thu, 18 October 2018 19:30 Go to previous message
Moses Lecce is currently offline Moses LecceFriend
Thank you!
Previous Topic:Spell check and wysiwyg plugins
Next Topic:error, Duplicate tag (HTML).
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:02:37 GMT 2024