Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » Incompatible Java Version for WindowBuilder
Incompatible Java Version for WindowBuilder [message #1792308] Mon, 16 July 2018 01:58 Go to next message
Daniela Piñeyro is currently offline Daniela PiñeyroFriend
Hello, I know this is a very common problem but still I can't find a solution. When I open the 'Design' tab on Eclipse, this is the error message that pops up:

Eclipse is running under 1.8, but this Java project has a 10 Java compliance level, so WindowBuilder will not be able to load classes from this project. Use a lower level of Java for the project, or run Eclipse using a newer Java version.

I had a bunch of different JDK versions installed, so I uninstalled all of them and installed JDK 8 only. I read that it would solve the problem, but it didn't.

My Eclipse version is OXYGEN.3 from March 2018. I installed WindowBuilder today, so it's the latest version. JAVA 8. What's the problem? Thank you!
Re: Incompatible Java Version for WindowBuilder [message #1792580 is a reply to message #1792308] Thu, 19 July 2018 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
If you uninstalled everything except JDK 8, what error message are you seeing?

If the the project is configured to use JDK 8 and Eclipse itself is running on JDK 8, it should work fine.
Re: Incompatible Java Version for WindowBuilder [message #1792641 is a reply to message #1792580] Fri, 20 July 2018 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bryson Payne is currently offline Bryson PayneFriend
Eric,
I understand what the WindowBuilder team was trying to do with the old version check code, but would you consider removing it or updating it to handle Java 9, 10, and 11 since Oracle changed the format of the version numbers?
WindowBuilder-designed apps run fine in Java 9/10/11, but WindowBuilder itself doesn't run because of the one line of WindowBuilder's source code where you check the version for "1.x...." broke back on Java 9 when they reformatted to "9" (and 10 and 11 continue this pattern, but Oracle could break it again in a few months on Java 12).
Would you and the team consider either updating the version check or removing that if statement altogether? I have thousands of students who want to use WindowBuilder, but don't want to downgrade back to Java 8 just for this one awesome tool.
Thank you for a great GUI tool for Java in Eclipse - and thanks in advance for any consideration to allow it to work for Java 9, 10, and 11.
Sincerely,
Bryson
Re: Incompatible Java Version for WindowBuilder [message #1792772 is a reply to message #1792641] Mon, 23 July 2018 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
I believe that the version check code has already been fixed in the latest version.

The Java version check is necessary since the Java version used to run Eclipse needs to match or exceed the Java version used by the project.

The error message...

"Eclipse is running under 1.8, but this Java project has a 10 Java compliance level, so WindowBuilder will not be able to load classes from this project. Use a lower level of Java for the project, or run Eclipse using a newer Java version. "

...is accurate if Eclipse is running 1.8 and the project is configured to use 10.
Re: Incompatible Java Version for WindowBuilder [message #1796691 is a reply to message #1792308] Wed, 17 October 2018 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sachi Dash is currently offline Sachi DashFriend
Eclipse is running under 0, butthis Java project has a 1.6 Java compliance level, so WindowBuilder will not be able to load classesfrom this project. Use a lower level of Java for the project, or run Eclipse using a newer Javaversion.

how could i solve this problem. i also change my java version to 1.8 still i got this error.
Re: Incompatible Java Version for WindowBuilder [message #1796777 is a reply to message #1796691] Thu, 18 October 2018 18:28 Go to previous message
Avi Abrami is currently offline Avi AbramiFriend
It's not clear to me what your environment is.
I am using Eclipse Photon with JDK 1.8 on Windows 10 (64 bit)
It is a simple matter to remove any JDK and Eclipse installations you have and simply install JDK 1.8 and after that, install Eclipse Photon.

Good luck!
Previous Topic:hello. Unable to connect to repository... trying to install windowbuilder
Next Topic:Databinding Swing beansbinding-1.2.1.jar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:18:23 GMT 2024