Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Enforce build of model project first(Build order of independent modules (DSL and Java))
Enforce build of model project first [message #1792147] Thu, 12 July 2018 07:40 Go to next message
Oliver Libutzki is currently offline Oliver LibutzkiFriend
Hi everyone,

I have a maven multi-module project which consists of multiple modules and one model module which contains the xtext dsl files. From this model module file are generated into the different other modules. the generated sources are not commited to svn/gt.t

aggregator
|-- module1 (java)
|-- module2 (java)
|-- model-module (dsl)

model-module and the other modules do not have any build dependencies and that cuases the "problem" that Eclipse does not know which project is the best to be built first. Obviously the model-module should be built first as it generates files which are need to compile module1 and module2.

The problem is obvious whenever I update my workspace from svn/git.

The Eclipse builder kicks in and builds module1 and module2 which have compile errors because model-module has not been built and the changed generated files are not included in module1 and module2.

While being built model.module generates the changed artifacts into module1 and module2.

The Eclipse Builde rkicks in again because some files changed and recompiles module1 and module2.

In the end I do not have any build errors, but the process can be optimized and faster if I could specify the build order of the projects.

Do you have any ideas/hints how to achieve my goal?

Kind regrads
Oliver
Re: Enforce build of model project first [message #1792150 is a reply to message #1792147] Thu, 12 July 2018 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

You can influence the build order in General/Workspace/Build preference page. By default the order is determined by dependencies, which does not hold for your case. So you have a non-default build order.
Re: Enforce build of model project first [message #1792160 is a reply to message #1792150] Thu, 12 July 2018 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms wrote on Thu, 12 July 2018 03:55
You can influence the build order in General/Workspace/Build preference page. By default the order is determined by dependencies, which does not hold for your case. So you have a non-default build order.

Ah, thanks, Karsten. I did not know that preferences.

Do you know if it works to clean the whole list and just to add my model project there? Is the build order of the other projects derived from their dependencies although "Default build order" is false?

Problem is that I do not know which other projects are available in the workspace, so it's hard to preconfigure this with Oomph.
Re: Enforce build of model project first [message #1792161 is a reply to message #1792160] Thu, 12 July 2018 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I have to admit that I never used that preference. Default build order was always fine for me.
Re: Enforce build of model project first [message #1792248 is a reply to message #1792161] Fri, 13 July 2018 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It works like a charm. This reduces the build cycle time a lot!

Thanks for the hint and the high-quality support in general.
Re: Enforce build of model project first [message #1792250 is a reply to message #1792248] Fri, 13 July 2018 09:09 Go to previous message

Glad to hear ;-)
Previous Topic:Restoring the model to a saved state
Next Topic:XText nature and cross references
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:12:17 GMT 2024