Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Memory debugging
Memory debugging [message #1792143] Thu, 12 July 2018 07:10 Go to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

I'm looking to use auto-generated C code to give a perhaps 10 fold speed up wrt EMF-Java for model to model transformations. It is perhaps 15 years since I was a good C++ programmer and 25 since I wrote serious C, so my first experiments bring back some unpleasant memories best summed up by my then advice to colleagues.

"You cannot develop code with non-trivial patterns of memory allocation without using Purify".

Sadly Purify has steadily deteriorated since its initial release; I still rate it as the best software I have ever used. Purify's underlying technology is fundamentally fragile mandating yearly payments which are far too high for consideration for Open Source development and it is not clear that Eclipse+MinGW is supported at all.

Is there a recommended memory debugging approach for use with CDT?

(Since I am auto-generating C, I can tolerate very heavy auto-generated instrumentation in a debug mode.)

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Memory debugging [message #1792231 is a reply to message #1792143] Fri, 13 July 2018 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
I'd have said Valgrind but I don't think it works under Windows.
If cost is really a concern, perhaps you might want to be the one to port it.

This is off topic for this forum which is devoted to CDT issues.
You should try asking at places like stackoverflow.com
But then, they don't seem to like the question much.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/413477/is-there-a-good-valgrind-substitute-for-windows
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38019525/getting-valgrind-on-windows-7

Re: Memory debugging [message #1792242 is a reply to message #1792231] Fri, 13 July 2018 07:30 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi David

Thanks for the good links - many (unattractive) options to think about. Probably time for an alternate Linux boot on my tower.

"off-topic". I was hoping that someone would embarrass me by pointing out a launch configuration checkbox. Memory debugging seems like something CDT could offer out of the box.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:Eclipse exit with -1073741571
Next Topic:GDB Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 04:08:43 GMT 2024