Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Report Hangs Indefinitely via Eclipse Designer Preview and Runtime
Report Hangs Indefinitely via Eclipse Designer Preview and Runtime [message #1791687] Wed, 04 July 2018 07:42 Go to next message
Stuart Weaver is currently offline Stuart WeaverFriend
Hi All,

At the moment I am developing a report that requires a query that takes about 1 minute and 30 seconds to run directly against the database against the full dataset.

When run via the Run Report button in the designer or via the runtime batch script the report runs indefinitely - some 90 minutes without returning anything/completing.

When run against a subset of the data - that takes perhaps 5 seconds to complete directly against the database - the report completes in about 2 minutes in the web viewer.

Is there an internal timeout that I am hitting? A way to diagnose this? All the processing is done on the SQL Server so it seems surprising/alarming that there is such an exponential increase in runtime (yet to return over many trials).

I am using the latest MS JDBC driver for Java 1.8 and have nothing beyond the base connection details configured for the connection string (server, port, instance, database, integrated auth)

Any help will be much appreciated.
Re: Report Hangs Indefinitely via Eclipse Designer Preview and Runtime [message #1791697 is a reply to message #1791687] Wed, 04 July 2018 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin Sutton is currently offline Colin SuttonFriend
You could try increasing the amount of memory available in eclipse.ini to use however much memory you have available.
Re: Report Hangs Indefinitely via Eclipse Designer Preview and Runtime [message #1791725 is a reply to message #1791697] Wed, 04 July 2018 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuart Weaver is currently offline Stuart WeaverFriend
Thanks for the suggestion Colin.

That was actually one of the first thoughts I had - but I don't think it explains the behaviour.

The database server itself is doing all of the processing, the data passed to BIRT is very small - the data is aggregated and only around 1000 rows. once it ostensibly hits BIRT. If I pre-run the query and store the results as a flat file then the report takes less than a second to run.

I have also already given BIRT some 10GB of memory to play with but memory utilisation never actually gets anywhere near that across the whole server.
Re: Report Hangs Indefinitely via Eclipse Designer Preview and Runtime [message #1791748 is a reply to message #1791725] Wed, 04 July 2018 16:46 Go to previous message
Colin Sutton is currently offline Colin SuttonFriend
The only other thing I can think of is that there is a datatype conversion happening between birt and sql server.
Previous Topic:Problem with Preview and Raport Viewer (HTTP ERROR: 500)
Next Topic:BIRT - Date format in Runtime and Designer version differ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:18:38 GMT 2024