Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse crashes System(System freezes when eclipse attempts to enter debug mode)
Eclipse crashes System [message #1791630] Tue, 03 July 2018 07:58 Go to next message
Florian Bauer is currently offline Florian BauerFriend
Hello everybody.

I mainly use eclipse based tools for programming STM32 microcontrollers.
But sometimes I need to test some Source Code and use the C/C++ IDE.

Unfortunately for the last few days I have the following problem:

I run Eclipse Oxygen (also tried with Photon) on a 32bit Windows System with a MinGW compiler toolchain.
Building and running programs works perfectly fine.
But whenever I want to debug a program, eclipse starts to load the debugging configuration and my whole system just freezes.
The monitors still display the current window but mouse and keyboard have no power and I'm forced to do a hard reset.

I already searched for a solution and tried to change debug configurations, like setting the environment variable manually and checked the path to the gdb.exe.
I also reinstalled MinGW and changed eclipse versions from Oxygen to Photon to Neon to Photon.
But nothing worked.
Sidenote: System Workbench for STM 32 works perfectly fine. But it uses another toolchain and no MinGW.

Attached are the settings in my debug configuration aswell as my system path variable.

Has anybody an idea why my system crashes?
I would be very glad for any help regarding my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Florian
Re: Eclipse crashes System [message #1792219 is a reply to message #1791630] Thu, 12 July 2018 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Are you attempting to run the PC native debugger to handle the STM32 ARM/Cortex code?

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Eclipse crashes System [message #1792327 is a reply to message #1792219] Mon, 16 July 2018 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello and thanks for the reply.

No I use Eclipse Photon for C/C++ development and configure an ANSI-C Hello World project with a MinGW compiler toolchain. I already checked the Path-Variable and set the path to the gdb.exe manually.
But the system still crashes.
On other PCs the debug works fine. So I assume it's a problem with the settings...
But I have no idea what could cause this error.

Still glad about any help I can get.

Greetings
Florian
Re: Eclipse crashes System [message #1792380 is a reply to message #1792327] Mon, 16 July 2018 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd like to repeat my question.
The first image shows that you're using the MinGW debugger for PC, not the cross-debugger for STM32 (ARM/Cortex).

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Eclipse crashes System [message #1792416 is a reply to message #1792380] Tue, 17 July 2018 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

yeah that is correct.
I want to write a C-application for PC and not something for a Microcontroller.

When I do STM32 stuff I use another IDE called System Workbench for STM with the cross-debugger for STM32. There I can debug without problems.

But my problem lies with the Eclipse for C/C++ development IDE and normal stand alone C-code(Photon/Oxygen with MinGW).

I'm sorry if my formulation was a bit misleading but my problem has presumably nothing to do with programming a microcontroller.
I just mentioned it to show that not all Eclipse based IDEs I use have this problem and hoped to narrow down the possible cause a bit.

Currently I want to get a normal ANSI-C project running and debugging with the Eclipse Photon IDE which prints "Hello World" to the console. (Therefore I use MinGW).

If wanted, I can attach more screenshots of my settings.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards
Florian
Re: Eclipse crashes System [message #1792426 is a reply to message #1792416] Tue, 17 July 2018 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the problem does not have anything to do with STM32?

Please open your Eclipse CDT and go to Help -> Help Contents -> C/C++ Development User Guide -> Before you begin, and follow the instructions there.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Eclipse crashes System [message #1792473 is a reply to message #1792426] Wed, 18 July 2018 11:54 Go to previous message
Hello

Tauno Voipio wrote on Tue, 17 July 2018 16:54
So the problem does not have anything to do with STM32?

Yes, it has nothing to do with STM32.

Tauno Voipio wrote on Tue, 17 July 2018 16:54

Please open your Eclipse CDT and go to Help -> Help Contents -> C/C++ Development User Guide -> Before you begin, and follow the instructions there.

I followed the steps in the Getting Started Guide.
As I mentioned before I can succesfully create a "Hello World"-Project, build and run it.
Only when I try to debug it, the whole system freezes.
Pictures of my debug-Settings are attached to my first post.

I'm not sure if the problem lies in the debug configuration but it even crashes when I create a "Hello World"-project and use only the default settings.

On another system creating a "Hello-World"-project, building, running and debugging it, without changing any of the configurations works perfectly fine.

So my guess would be that there is some kind of global setting which causes this error. But unfortunately I have no idea where to look.

If it is of any help:
The freeze occurs when the debugging loading scale on the bottom right corner reaches 96%.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Florian
Previous Topic:Hide precompiler instructions in c/c++ files
Next Topic:Can't debug (Windows 10)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:35:35 GMT 2024