Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error"
Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1791408] Thu, 28 June 2018 19:43 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I've been trying to install Photon this morning. I had some initial odd issues with the installer getting an "Access is Denied" error on a file in ~/.eclipse, but after I rebooted I don't see that anymore. However, with the "Simple Installer", when I click the "Install" button, it immediately says "Installation failed with an error.", with no other information.
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1791415 is a reply to message #1791408] Fri, 29 June 2018 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Which OS are you on? Doesn't it give you a link to the log? Can you show (attach *.png) what it looks like? If on Windows, if you switch to simple mode, it will ask if you want to keep the installer in a permanent location. If you do that, and run it again (be sure to choose a Photon version explicitly if there is a choice of version), and it fails again, perhaps there will be a *.log file in the installer's configuration folder? If you're on the Mac, be sure you've unpackaged to somewhere other than your download folder; the Mac does some "randomizing" thing that can cause jars not to load properly.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1791451 is a reply to message #1791415] Fri, 29 June 2018 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Platform: Windows 7.

I've attached the picture and the log file (slightly edited).

As you can see, there are bunch of "FileNotFoundException" errors, with the qualification of "Access is denied". I don't know why it would say that. I checked most of those errors, and the file in question exists, is owned by me, and is read/write/exec.

Is there something in this ~/.eclipse tree I can safely delete to see if that fixes this? Will that break anything in my existing Oxygen installation?

• Attachment: installer.log
    (Size: 537.28KB, Downloaded 237 times)
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1791454 is a reply to message #1791451] Fri, 29 June 2018 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could delete everything in C:\Users\<uid>\.eclipse\org.eclipse.oomph.jreinfo and it will be created new. Also, in C:\Users\<uid>\.eclipse\org.eclipse.oomph.setup\ . But Access Denied? What's going on with your machine that you don't have write access in your own home folder's files. That's the more fundamental problem because you probably want to create the installation there too and will end up with the next same problem. Can you edit any of these files with notepad, e.g., add and remove a space and then save it?

Ed Merks
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1791457 is a reply to message #1791454] Fri, 29 June 2018 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do have write access in those folders. I verified that by manually putting a file there. No problem. I also edited one of the existing files and saved it. No problem.
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1791458 is a reply to message #1791457] Fri, 29 June 2018 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I removed "jreinfo" and "setup" and retested. Same error. The log now complains about "org.eclipse.oomph.setup.installer\installRoot.txt". Can I delete that directory?
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1791462 is a reply to message #1791458] Fri, 29 June 2018 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, but there's something seriously wrong with the permissions with which the installer is running, or with the permissions/ownership of your home folder. No doubt the installer won't be able to write anything at all anywhere on the file system, and that's of course fundamentally what an installer does...

Ed Merks
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1791469 is a reply to message #1791462] Fri, 29 June 2018 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And after deleting that directory and retesting, the installation went through successfully. The installation process recreated some of these directories and files. Even looking at them after the fact, I don't see any obvious difference between the old and the new. It's almost like the installation process failed specifically because those files were present at all.
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1791479 is a reply to message #1791469] Sat, 30 June 2018 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed because they were present without write access permission. Goodness knows how they could be in such a state. Perhaps you've previously run the installer as admin (or some other user)? It's much harder to understand file permissions on Windows than on Linux-style file systems where it's more obvious in the properties you see...

Ed Merks
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1791492 is a reply to message #1791479] Sat, 30 June 2018 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just so it's clear, I saw no indication that write permission was a problem. I was able to write to those files and directories. All the files were owned by me, and the permissions were read and write. There's no way the installer could have been run by anyone but my userid.

No argument on the confusion of Windows file permissions. I'm sure this incident is an artifact of that, but I have no clue what happened.
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1791500 is a reply to message #1791492] Sun, 01 July 2018 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sometimes virus scanners on Windows cause such problems for files that are read and written quickly. While scanning the file, it's locked, making it look like it's read-only. I.e., we've repeatedly had reports (and it happened on my old machine), that p2 would download an artifact to a "download" folder and then try to move the final result to the permanent location in the pool, which would then fail with an access denied exception. In such cases, the virus scanner had to be configured to stop doing its thing in the pool/agent folder.

Ed Merks
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1803853 is a reply to message #1791408] Tue, 12 March 2019 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I said before, such problems are typically caused by virus scanners on Windows. Configure your scanner not to scan that folder or try installing with the scanner disabled temporarily.

Ed Merks
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1803864 is a reply to message #1791408] Tue, 12 March 2019 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This was a long time ago, but I was eventually able to get Photon installed. I don't remember what I did, but it had nothing to do with configuring my virus scanner.
Re: Photon installer just gets "Installation failed with an error" [message #1803882 is a reply to message #1803864] Wed, 13 March 2019 05:15 Go to previous message
David, you showed a log of the specific problems you encountered so it was more clear that your problem is different.

But I see now this person is just using the forum to post links, so I have wasted my time. :-( I will ask the webmaster to ban them and remove their posts.

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:External project packages not accessible
Next Topic:Not deploying after WebService Client not generated
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:53:38 GMT 2024