Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » GEF5 + e(fx)clipse // Problem DragNDrop Shapes (Double Click ?)
GEF5 + e(fx)clipse // Problem DragNDrop Shapes (Double Click ?) [message #1791389] Thu, 28 June 2018 14:52 Go to next message
Shawn Kleese is currently offline Shawn KleeseFriend
Hello,

i'm currently experimenting with eclipse e4 RCP and GEF5. I'm evaluating currently 2 Variants. The 1st is e4 RCP based on SWT and GEF5. The GEF-Component is very similar implemented like the official GEF-Example-App.

The 2nd is mostly the same except that it is based on e(fx)clipse (JavaFX).

After starting both Applications everything looks good and similar. But one Thing is strange:
In the e(fx)clipse Variant i must do a "Double-Click-And-Press" on a Shape to move the Shape on the Viewer.
On the SWT-Variant i'm good with a "Single-Click-and-Press".

Is somebody know if there are some known Issues with that Click-Events on SWT/JFX After a Migration?

It would be great if somybody can give me an hint. After a few hours of analysis i have no Idea where the Problem is.

Best Regards,

Shawn
Re: GEF5 + e(fx)clipse // Problem DragNDrop Shapes (Double Click ?) [message #1791841 is a reply to message #1791389] Fri, 06 July 2018 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After some more analysis the Problem seems to be that the Shape losts the focus after a Click and the DnDTabPane becomes new Focusowner.

Is somebody here who can provide a tip or a Solution for that Problem ?
Re: GEF5 + e(fx)clipse // Problem DragNDrop Shapes (Double Click ?) [message #1791882 is a reply to message #1791841] Fri, 06 July 2018 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Wienand is currently offline Matthias WienandFriend
Hi Shawn,

I have used GEF inside pure JavaFX-rendered Eclipse before some time ago, so I believe it should work pretty seamlessly, a few things need special care though (e.g. domain activation), but no big deal.

If I was facing your problem (interaction does not work as expected), I would start debugging the corresponding handlers, i.e. FocusAndSelectOnClickHandler and TranslateSelectedOnDragHandler. There are methods for processing respective input events (click(), press(), drag(), release()) where the JavaFX event objects should arrive.

The FocusAndSelectOnClickHandler should execute operations that set the clicked part as the focus part inside the FocusModel, as well as adding it to the selected parts inside the SelectionModel.

The TranslateSelectedOnDragHandler should execute operations that transform the selected parts according to the drag event data.

Therefore, the JavaFX focus concept should not interfere with processing these mouse events on the GEF side. The problem should be different from the DndTabPane becoming the focus owner.

If the respective callback methods for processing input events are not visited, i.e. click(), press(), and drag() are not called, then you need to go one step further and investigate what is happening inside the ClickDragGesture that forwards mouse input events to GEF handlers.

Inside ClickDragGesture, you can find a JavaFX mouse event filter (JavaFX filter vs. handler: filters are executed while traveling from the root to the event target, handlers are executed on the way back to the root) that should receive all JavaFX mouse input events. If it does not get the click and drag events, something is really broken.

Feel free to report back.

h2h
Matthias
Re: GEF5 + e(fx)clipse // Problem DragNDrop Shapes (Double Click ?) [message #1791972 is a reply to message #1791882] Mon, 09 July 2018 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Matthias,

i have spend for this Problem some more Time and i have found now a Workarround.

The InfiniteCanvasViewer has a "isViewerFocused()" Method. This Method is used in the Eventhandling to prevent Eventhandling if it returns false.
So this mechanism works internally in the way, that it registers a Focus-Changed Listener on the the Scene and checks if the focused Node is IN the Viewer to say if the Viewer is focused/active.

At the End of this Chain the ClickDragGesture knows the activeViewer gets null. See this Snippet

org.eclipse.gef.mvc.fx.gestures.ClickDragGesture
private ChangeListener<Boolean> viewerFocusChangeListener = new ChangeListener<Boolean>() {
		@Override
		public void changed(ObservableValue<? extends Boolean> observable,
				Boolean oldValue, Boolean newValue) {
			// cannot abort if no activeViewer
			if (activeViewer == null) {
				return;
			}

// some more Code ...
			// ....
		}
	};

And when the DnDTabPane becomes FocusOwner the Viewer returns "isViewerFocused() --> false" and the Drag'n Drop does not work.

Now, my Workaround:
import org.eclipse.gef.mvc.fx.viewer.InfiniteCanvasViewer;

public class MyIfiniteCanvasViewer extends InfiniteCanvasViewer {
	@Override
	public boolean isViewerFocused() {
		return true;
	}
}

Register the MyIfiniteCanvasViewer instead of the Default-Implementation
public class MyFxModule extends MvcFxModule {

@Override
	protected void bindIViewer() {
		binder().bind(IViewer.class).to(MyIfiniteCanvasViewer.class);
	}

/**
       Here are some more Code
      **/

}

This currently work for me, but i suppose that this Viewerfocused-Mechanism have some Reasons and i have disabled this Feature completly...

Do you know more about it?

Best Regards,

Shawn

[Updated on: Mon, 09 July 2018 11:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: GEF5 + e(fx)clipse // Problem DragNDrop Shapes (Double Click ?) [message #1793608 is a reply to message #1791972] Sat, 11 August 2018 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Wienand is currently offline Matthias WienandFriend
Hi Shawn,

the focus mechanism plays together with aborting user interaction, i.e. if the viewer loses focus during user interaction (e.g. you drag something and switch to another application while dragging), that interaction is not continued. If that behaviour is undesired or unnecessary in your case, then you should be fine with keeping the viewer "focused". It could also lead to problems with multiple viewers in the same domain, but nothing that should give you headaches.

Nonetheless, I could imagine a slightly different solution that has less side effects: keeping the viewer focused if either itself or a DnDTabPane is the current focus owner.

Best regards,
Matthias
Re: GEF5 + e(fx)clipse // Problem DragNDrop Shapes (Double Click ?) [message #1837618 is a reply to message #1793608] Wed, 03 February 2021 09:13 Go to previous message
Ying ying is currently offline Ying yingFriend
I'm currently working on how to setup an eclipse development GEF5 and e(fx)clipse, could you share the steps?
Thanks a lot.
Previous Topic:GEF stand alone, GEF 5 or 3?
Next Topic:How to set up e(fx)clipse development with JDK 1.8 and GEF 5 ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:33:59 GMT 2024