Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Enforce latest available iu version
Enforce latest available iu version [message #1791262] Wed, 27 June 2018 06:07 Go to next message
Oliver Libutzki is currently offline Oliver LibutzkiFriend
Hi,

is it possible to enforce the usage/installation of the latest version of an iu via Oomph?

I have a P2 repository which is rebuilt whenever a new snapshot of my product is built. I want all the IDEe which use this P2 snapshot repository to be updated.

In order to achieve this, I modify my setup-File and enforce the usage of the latest osig identifier (e.g. 2.2.0.201806261426), but specifying a range like this: [2.2.0.201806261426, 2.2.0.201806261426]

Something like: [2.2.0,3.0.0) is not sufficient as existing IDEs are not updated when a new version is available in the P2 repo, becuase the requirement to have a 2.2.0 version of the iu is already satisfied.

So: Is there a way to specify that a I always want to use the latest version of an iu without modifying the setup file after every snapshot build?

Kind regrads
Oliver
Re: Enforce latest available iu version [message #1791265 is a reply to message #1791262] Wed, 27 June 2018 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
As you are no doubt aware, on startup, the p2 task checks that the installation satisfies the task's specified requirements. This is fast and can be and is done locally. The only way to know if there exist any updates to these requirements is to load all the repositories and to recompute the best current solution to the specified requirements. But of course that cannot be done locally; all the content metadata of all the repositories must be loaded, and the solution to the requirements must be recomputed to determine if it's different from the current installation profile. That's what the p2 task actually does when it performs. If there are no updates, it continues without further work. If there are updates, it downloads and installs them.

All this is a complicated way to say that unless you were able to always perform the p2 task on startup trigger, the only way to force an update for startup trigger is for the p2 task's requirements to specify a lower bound that is not satisfied by the current installation profile. The only other possible solution would be if there were a way to specify (some new attribute in the model) that a p2 task always perform on startup trigger (the way it always performs on manual trigger). Of course this would then always have significant overhead on startup because it would kick in even if there are no new IUs to install, so that too seems less than ideal. Most ideal in terms of performance/behavior for your end consumer is your current approach of changing the setup so that the need for updating is checked quickly and locally...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Enforce latest available iu version [message #1791270 is a reply to message #1791265] Wed, 27 June 2018 10:52 Go to previous message
Oliver Libutzki is currently offline Oliver LibutzkiFriend
Hi Ed,

thanks for your detailed response.

Ok, I hope I got it right: You perform a pre-check on startup before you execute the P2 Director. If all the ius are within the specified version ranges you do not start the P2 Director and do not consult the P2 repositories.

When triggered manually (via "Perfom Setup Tasks...") the pre-check is not performed, the P2 repos are consulted and the latest version (within a specified range) is installed.

Do I got that right?

Kind regards
Oliver

Previous Topic:Disable "Launch Automatically" Automatically
Next Topic:Upgrades all eclipse versions at once
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:50:59 GMT 2024