Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » M2T (model-to-text transformation) » [Acceleo] Maximum size of a module(Is there a maximum size for an Acceleo module ?)
[Acceleo] Maximum size of a module [message #1791182] Mon, 25 June 2018 14:41 Go to next message
Mad Vin is currently offline Mad VinFriend
Hi !

Long time no see... ;)

Just a little question : I'm working with a project made by another person and I'm fixing some problems in a particularly big Acceleo module file. It contains more than 2200 lines of code, I've got several error popups since some days indicating an error about Acceleo and an exceeded maximum size of a string when I modify this file, but now if I try to modify this file, the whole Eclipse platform freezes definitively, but not the OS. The only solution is to kill this Eclipse process.

Do you know what is the cause of this problem ? Is this a problem caused by the size of the file, or a certain generated string in this module is too long ?

Thanks.

Best regards.

PS : I know that using a huge module file in Acceleo is not a good idea, but I can't move easily some of the templates/queries to another module because this is a module used by a lot of other ones.
Re: [Acceleo] Maximum size of a module [message #1791189 is a reply to message #1791182] Mon, 25 June 2018 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it's a problem of memory of the Eclipse platform... if you confirm there is no size limitation in the Acceleo code.
Re: [Acceleo] Maximum size of a module [message #1791482 is a reply to message #1791189] Sat, 30 June 2018 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

2200 is large and so that might cause slow response, but it should not cause a freeze. Unless you are using a ten year old machine with limited memory, I would not expect 2200 lines to be a significant problem memory-wise.

There are many different parts of Eclipse that do not always play well together. Using something like Visual VM to get a thread dump of your freeze may provide some clues that may help you avoid the freeze and to raise an appropriate Bugzilla. Freezes are often difficult to reproduce, so if you have a reproducible one the developers may be 'grateful'.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: [Acceleo] Maximum size of a module [message #1793363 is a reply to message #1791482] Mon, 06 August 2018 16:33 Go to previous message
Hi !

I increased the maximum memory used by the Eclipse platform and I haven't the problem anymore for the moment. But it may be possible a memory leak happens step by step, I restart sometimes the Eclipse platform to free its memory.
Nevertheless I try to avoid to make too big module files because the compilation may be long.

Best regards.
Previous Topic:[ACCELEO] Big integers
Next Topic:[Acceleo] [Luna] Launching acceleo problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:16:30 GMT 2024