Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Classroom computers(deploying eclipse in a multiuser environment)
Classroom computers [message #1790970] Wed, 20 June 2018 18:39 Go to next message
eric christensen is currently offline eric christensenFriend
I've been tasked with deploying eclipse in a multiuser environment and am not seeing the path to complete this task.

Scenario

We have 36 shared computers. Students per period will be using these devices over the course of the years. Each student has a personal login that they will be using.

First is there a MSI install?

What steps can be done for an unattended install?

How do we configure Eclipse to be used on a machine by any user?

I installed it on my test machine. Everything was fine. I set the working directories to a folder on the C:.

I sysprepped the machine and imaged it for deployment to the other 35 computers. I logged in as a user and eclipse has broken each time I've attempted this.

Do I tell the teacher Eclipse is not for this purpose or is there documentation on how to deploy Eclipse in our environment?
Re: Classroom computers [message #1790974 is a reply to message #1790970] Wed, 20 June 2018 19:59 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
No there is no MSI installer. The Eclipse Installer requires the user to choose where to install; typically in their own home folder. I have now idea what sysprepped does or is... Can't each user create their own installation in their own home folder? I've tried to answer this question in this thread: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=1088269&goto=1770754&#msg_1770754

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Can't get the folder structure right for src/test/resources
Next Topic:bookmarks?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:26:31 GMT 2024