Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » <aboutText> in product extension with Tycho(The About Dialog is blank when running an app built through Tycho and Maven)
<aboutText> in product extension with Tycho [message #1790561] Tue, 12 June 2018 21:52 Go to next message
J Clausius is currently offline J ClausiusFriend
I have an older plugin based RCP application that had been building through PDE. I'm currently in the process of converting this to Tycho (1.2.0) and Maven to run on Eclipse Oxygen (4.7.3a)

One thing I've noticed is the <aboutText> value defined in plugin.xml is not making it into the executable's built binary. In the older PDE based builds (made on Luna), the About dialog showed the text directly found in the <aboutText> element defined within plugin.xml. However, when the Tycho generated mac's .app bundle is executed, the App's About dialog is void of any text. The "Installation Details" button is there, but the main text is missing.

I should also point out, within Oxygen 4.7.3a, when launching the RCP with a Run/Debug configuration (launching myapp.product's id), the About dialog properly shows the plugin.xml aboutText properly. But to re-iterate the app generated with Run -> "maven install" does not.

I thought it might be related to something like this- https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/736778/, so I made those changes to the project. However, I still get the same results... Run/Debug configurations on the app's product id work and show the text found directly in the plugin.properties file, but the generated app bundle ( from Tycho ) About dialog is blank.

(Aside: It wasn't clear from the post, but I made step 4's changes in the project.parent's pom.xml and not in the project.product's pom.xml. Not sure that is relevant, but mentioned just in case.)

When launching the tycho build application, the .metadata/.log file shows the following:
========================

!SESSION 2018-06-12 16:17:20.738 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=10.0.1
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -keyring /Users/admin/.eclipse_keyring
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -keyring /Users/admin/.eclipse_keyring

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.app 0 0 2018-06-12 16:17:29.812
!MESSAGE Product org.eclipse.epp.package.rcp.product could not be found.

========================

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA
-jclausius
Re: <aboutText> in product extension with Tycho [message #1790693 is a reply to message #1790561] Thu, 14 June 2018 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
It looks like you're launching product `org.eclipse.epp.package.rcp.product `, which is likely different from the one that you're defining. Check your .product file?

Brian.
Re: <aboutText> in product extension with Tycho [message #1790717 is a reply to message #1790693] Thu, 14 June 2018 20:38 Go to previous message
J Clausius is currently offline J ClausiusFriend
Brian de Alwis wrote on Thu, 14 June 2018 14:58
It looks like you're launching product `org.eclipse.epp.package.rcp.product `, which is likely different from the one that you're defining. Check your .product file?

Brian.

Bingo! Thanks for that.

In "maven-ization", I had copied the app.product file from the app's main plugin project into a new "plugin.product" project which just contained the pom.xml and the copied over app.product file.

Apparently the copy or something during converting the general project into a maven project changed the app.product file id from "com.my.app" to <project id="org.eclipse.epp.package.rcp.product" .../>, and I had not noticed.

Thanks for pointing this out.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 June 2018 20:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:preferenceCustomization ignored/overwritten (updated)
Next Topic:Set Toggle Mark Occurrences of Xtext Editor to enabled
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:18:16 GMT 2024