Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » eRCP » RCP builds differences in Tycho (Maven) vs PDE build(Changes in RCP build by Tycho )
RCP builds differences in Tycho (Maven) vs PDE build [message #1790545] Tue, 12 June 2018 15:40 Go to next message
J Clausius is currently offline J ClausiusFriend
I have an older project that works by building through PDE. I'm currently in the process of converting this to Tycho (1.2.0) and Maven.

There is a discrepancy (or change) the tycho build decided on that seem to be misguided. Where is the place to log this?

For example, the plugin.xml's <"product.id"> extension has an <appName> element. Also the *.product file has a 'launcher' name. Launcher name should be the name of the binary file that is executed in whatever environment. So, on Linux/Windows, the (executable) binary should be "launcher-name" derived from the product file.

The appName element should then be used internally to display naming of the application. On a Mac, the appName used for the Application Menu naming scheme, etc. It might be used in other places in your RCP based application where the Eclipse Framework needs to refer to your Application. Perhaps the menu for Help -> About?

In any case, in a Tycho build, this is not the case. Tycho uses the Launcher name for the executable name as well as any value of "<appName>". So, it basically the appName element becomes deprecated or obsolete.

Where would I go to log a bug or request for change to the behavior?

TIA
Re: RCP builds differences in Tycho (Maven) vs PDE build [message #1790556 is a reply to message #1790545] Tue, 12 June 2018 21:21 Go to previous message
J Clausius is currently offline J ClausiusFriend
Note, deeper searching came across this forum -> https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/f/106/

I think this question might be better suited there.

Previous Topic:Eclipse RCP application requires JDK 1.6 on Mac
Next Topic:Create RCP distribution from non-RCP plugin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 20:32:18 GMT 2024