Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » What To Download For a Beginner?(question about where to start)
What To Download For a Beginner? [message #1790011] Sat, 02 June 2018 23:56 Go to next message
arthur brogard is currently offline arthur brogardFriend
I intend to learn some Java.

So I downloaded the latest SDK.

Now I need an IDE and here's this wonderful Eclipse site. Wonderful for sure.

But such a plethora of packages on offer for download.

My first instinct was just to download the IDE. Good enough? Or I would be well advised to download others/something else?

All those Oxygen things......

[Updated on: Sun, 03 June 2018 00:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What To Download For a Beginner? [message #1790012 is a reply to message #1790011] Sun, 03 June 2018 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

The Eclipse IDE for Java Developers would be the natural choice.

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-java-developers/oxygen3a

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: What To Download For a Beginner? [message #1790013 is a reply to message #1790012] Sun, 03 June 2018 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arthur brogard is currently offline arthur brogardFriend

Thank you that. I'll do it.

So it is an 'Oxygen thing' itself. Ah.

And an overview of all these other packages... when/where/why I might use them... ?

Not necessary at this stage, I know, but of general interest and looking ahead..?
Re: What To Download For a Beginner? [message #1790017 is a reply to message #1790013] Sun, 03 June 2018 06:30 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
On the side of that "packages" page is a link, Compare & Combine Packages, which links to https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/compare.php?release=oxygen which compares the key features each package supports. In the end though, you can start with pretty much any package and install (Help -> Install New Software) the additional support for whatever other features you might want to use in the future. Of course you could use the installer linked from the big "Download 64/32 Bit" button link on the download page itself to install any of these packages too.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:How to force line wrap/break for XML files in Eclipse Oxygen.3a (4.7.3a)
Next Topic:Cannot find the ODA dataSource extension _ Birt Viewer_Tomcat
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:14:54 GMT 2024