Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How to remove the console from the release exe?(Disabling the console window for a running exe)
How to remove the console from the release exe? [message #1787590] Tue, 29 May 2018 17:44 Go to next message
snake farmer is currently offline snake farmerFriend
Hi guys,

I am creating a directX application and don't want the console running at the background in my release build. The settings I found seemed only to affect the development process and everything within it, but not the final build. Google also didn't help to find someone with the same problem. I just want to get rid of the console window for my running application.

Hope someone can help.
Thank you very much in advance!
Re: How to remove the console from the release exe? [message #1789901 is a reply to message #1787590] Thu, 31 May 2018 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Are you running in Linux?
Then read: https://askubuntu.com/questions/98377/how-to-hide-terminal-output-when-executing-a-command
or Google "Linux hide console output"

For Windows try Googling "windows hide console output"
Re: How to remove the console from the release exe? [message #1789934 is a reply to message #1789901] Thu, 31 May 2018 23:24 Go to previous message
snake farmer is currently offline snake farmerFriend
Sorry, forgot to tell that detail. No, I am on windows10, using the mars 2 version. I know that Visual Studio is the established tool on there. But I want to give Eclipse a try, for a potentially smooth cross-platform development later on (I hope that is what it is good for).

1. Is it actually a win32 console app per default, as that is not clear?
And is the actual display of a console a necessity within a win32 console application?

2. is there a way to convert the project to what I want, so that I don't have to start a new project type (and which type should I choose for that matter?)

3. If nothing helps, is there at least a way to tell the app that the console should start minimized so that when the application is in windowed mode the background isn't occupied by the console window.

Edit:

"windows hide console output"

Thank you. looks like suitable terminology. I googled it with that and already found a satisfying suggestion: I call FreeConsole(); right at the beginning of the main before anything else to hide (or actually delete?) it. Hope it is meant to be done that way and doesn't involve any further steps to do it correctly. So the console won't bother anyone anymore.

But if someone can answer these questions in a bit more detail, it is of course for the better. Thank you guys.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 May 2018 23:47]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Failure to execute MI command during Debug - Helios
Next Topic:adding help-content to Eclipse Help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:14:23 GMT 2024