Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Oxygen 4.7.3a Max OS location of eclipse.ini file...(Info on the eclipse.ini file location...)
Oxygen 4.7.3a Max OS location of eclipse.ini file... [message #1787260] Tue, 22 May 2018 20:57 Go to next message
Jim Crowell is currently offline Jim CrowellFriend
Hi,
I just upgraded to the Eclipse Oxygen version and I am looking for the eclipse.ini file so that I can change the Font size. I am using the Mac OS X High Sierra [10.13] OS. I found some hints via Google but no luck so far. I did find a config.ini hidden file but I was unable to Google any information on what it is used for...

Mostly, I want to increase the font size in the Java Editor and I think I can figure out how to do that in the 'Properties" menu...

Regards,
Jim...
Re: Oxygen 4.7.3a Max OS location of eclipse.ini file... [message #1787282 is a reply to message #1787260] Wed, 23 May 2018 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
This is normally done via preferences. You could just enable the preference recorder in the preferences dialog (the right most button at the bottom) and then record your preference changes so that they are automatically applied for all installations (even new ones you create later) and to all workspaces opened by those installations.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Oxygen 4.7.3a Max OS location of eclipse.ini file... [message #1787333 is a reply to message #1787282] Wed, 23 May 2018 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed,

I toggled the "preference recorder" button and initially I activated something that went thru all the Eclipse preferences? That process looks like a one time event in that I do not see it anymore?

I did change the preferences/Appearance controls to "Classic" and then I discovered that if I double click on the "Colors and Fonts" item, I get to edit the Font Size and lots of other settings.

Now the Java Editor window looks similar to the old Eclipse [Luna] I have been using for several years.

Many Thanks,
Jim...

Re: Oxygen 4.7.3a Max OS location of eclipse.ini file... [message #1787336 is a reply to message #1787333] Wed, 23 May 2018 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
Where are these preferences on computers running Mac OS, esp. the latest, High Sierra? (Complete path please.)

[Updated on: Wed, 23 May 2018 19:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oxygen 4.7.3a Max OS location of eclipse.ini file... [message #1787361 is a reply to message #1787336] Thu, 24 May 2018 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You can bring up preferences from the editor's context menu. This will filter the preferences to show only those related to the editor's appearance. On Windows and Linux the preferences are also under the Windows menu; on the Mac they are on the standard system menu (though I forget exactly where that is, but its in the same way available as in all applications. You'll want to look in General -> Appearance -> Colors and Fonts. You could also type "font" in the preference dialog's filter to find these preferences. In the Structured Text Editors category you can change the font. The Java category also has a setting to change the font specifically for the Java Editor.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Oxygen 4.7.3a Max OS location of eclipse.ini file... [message #1787403 is a reply to message #1787361] Thu, 24 May 2018 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
Thank you for your help. I think I found the right spot. I changed font and size selections. There was no button to apply or save. Closed that menu, used apply on the enclosing menu. Nothing happened on-screen. Used apply and save, and closed that menu. Went back to the files as opened within Eclipse. Nothing had changed. Decided to use select all, and then command +. That gives me something that I can see easier. That operation appears to have changed the display of all project files in the workspace. Strange.
Re: Oxygen 4.7.3a Max OS location of eclipse.ini file... [message #1787415 is a reply to message #1787260] Fri, 25 May 2018 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Open the Fonts and Colors preference page and adjust the Text Font size in the Basic or Java category. Changing the Basic font should apply to all of the text editors in Eclipse.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Oxygen 4.7.3a Max OS location of eclipse.ini file... [message #1787451 is a reply to message #1787415] Fri, 25 May 2018 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin,

> Changing the Basic font should apply to all of the text editors in Eclipse.

I'll experiment with 'Basic' settings.

Thanks,
Jim...
Re: Oxygen 4.7.3a Max OS location of eclipse.ini file... [message #1787452 is a reply to message #1787415] Fri, 25 May 2018 15:10 Go to previous message
Nitin,

> Changing the Basic font should apply to all of the text editors in Eclipse.

I'll experiment with 'Basic' settings.

Thanks,
Jim...
Previous Topic:Open project from file system?
Next Topic:Unable to download and install eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:06:26 GMT 2024