Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse crashed and now my workplace won't open. What should I do?
Eclipse crashed and now my workplace won't open. What should I do? [message #1786253] Fri, 27 April 2018 17:40 Go to next message
MICHAEL NAPLES is currently offline MICHAEL NAPLESFriend
My Eclipse crashed and when I went to open it again it crashes when loading the workplace. I'm assuming the workplace didn't save correctly. Is there any easy fix? Should I make a new workplace? And what's the best way to do that?

This is Release 4.7.0 (Oxygen).

Here's the error message:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2018-04-27 13:30:09.758
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/core/resources/IContainer
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:152)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:388)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:243)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:653)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:590)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1499)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: An error occurred while automatically activating bundle org.eclipse.core.resources (94).
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.hooks.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:112)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.classpath.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:529)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.findLocalClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:328)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:368)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.sources.SingleSourcePackage.loadClass(SingleSourcePackage.java:36)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:442)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:395)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:387)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.loadClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:150)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	... 13 more
Caused by: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in org.eclipse.core.resources.ResourcesPlugin.start() of bundle org.eclipse.core.resources.
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:800)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:729)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.startWorker0(EquinoxBundle.java:933)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle$EquinoxModule.startWorker(EquinoxBundle.java:309)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.doStart(Module.java:581)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:449)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction.start(SecureAction.java:468)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.hooks.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:103)
	... 22 more
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException: Incompatible file format. Workspace was saved with an incompatible version: 0.
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.WorkspaceTreeReader.getReader(WorkspaceTreeReader.java:59)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.WorkspaceTreeReader.getReader(WorkspaceTreeReader.java:67)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.restoreTree(SaveManager.java:1056)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.restore(SaveManager.java:719)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.SaveManager.startup(SaveManager.java:1587)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.startup(Workspace.java:2399)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.open(Workspace.java:2156)
	at org.eclipse.core.resources.ResourcesPlugin.start(ResourcesPlugin.java:467)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl$3.run(BundleContextImpl.java:779)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl$3.run(BundleContextImpl.java:1)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:772)
	... 29 more

[Updated on: Fri, 27 April 2018 18:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse crashed and now my workplace won't open. What should I do? [message #1786260 is a reply to message #1786253] Sat, 28 April 2018 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, it looks like the workspace is corrupted (somewhere in the <workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources). You could open a new workspace and use File -> Import... -> Existing Projects into Workspace to import the projects from the old workspace into the new workspace (pointing at the old workspace folder if the projects are physically nested in the old workspace folder).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse crashed and now my workplace won't open. What should I do? [message #1786355 is a reply to message #1786260] Tue, 01 May 2018 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
I've been having that problem a lot lately. What has worked for me, so far, is to force quit Eclipse if necessary. Then turn the computer off, leave it off for at least 20 seconds, and restart. Restart Eclipse, and if it come us at all, then move to a different workspace. Doing so appears to cause Eclipse to flush garbage from the workspace wherein you had problems. Then you can move back to the first workspace. If you are lucky, everything will be fine.
Re: Eclipse crashed and now my workplace won't open. What should I do? [message #1786358 is a reply to message #1786260] Wed, 02 May 2018 00:34 Go to previous message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
What happens if you just trash the hidden file?
Previous Topic:Remove red box around brackets
Next Topic:ABAP Development Tools
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:51:23 GMT 2024