Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment
Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment [message #1786091] Wed, 25 April 2018 12:32 Go to next message
Yoann Farré is currently offline Yoann FarréFriend
Hello everyone,

I would use Combined Fragments in sequence diagrams. I have two questions about these fragments:

1/ I can't add a CombinedFragment into another one, is it wanted? If yes, why?
(example in the attached file)
I can reproduce this behavior by dragging a combined fragment on an another one after creating but not directly.

2/ It could be a very nice feature to move a combined fragment and all elements included in at the same time. Is it planned to be developed?

Thank you for reading!

Yoann.
Re: Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment [message #1786105 is a reply to message #1786091] Wed, 25 April 2018 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Yoann,
interesting questions, though.
OK, I nevertheless strongly advise you to use sequence diagrams for sequences. If you have to model non-sequential behavior I strongly advise you to use either activity diagrams or state charts instead.
/Carsten
Re: Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment [message #1786144 is a reply to message #1786105] Thu, 26 April 2018 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Carsten,

Thank you for your reply.

Actually, this is what I want to do. I'm trying to generate state machine diagrams from a set of sequence diagrams. It works pretty well but I need to add constraints on some trigger messages. This is the reason why I would use a CombinedFragment including an InteractionConstraint and thus why I would use the features that I described above. I would also keep the representation of the CombinedFragment (or similar).

Yoann.
Re: Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment [message #1786168 is a reply to message #1786144] Thu, 26 April 2018 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Damus is currently offline Christian DamusFriend

Hi, Yoann,

There is currently activity on fixes and improvements in the editing of combined fragments, targeting Photon but I think also the Oxygen.4 release (as indicated in the wiki; at least a few bug fixes have already been back-ported to Oxygen). You can follow the work in this bug and its blockers:

http://eclip.se/533670

I hope this will address some of your concerns.

Cheers,
Christian
Re: Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment [message #1786170 is a reply to message #1786168] Thu, 26 April 2018 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Christian,

Thank you for the link. This is helpful even if i can't find the feature that I would for the moment.

Yoann.

Re: Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment [message #1786259 is a reply to message #1786091] Sat, 28 April 2018 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
Hello Yoann,
I think the problem is not with Eclipse, but with your use of the sequence diagram. The sequence diagram was simply not designed to do what you want to do, and although it was designed to show process logic, it is not meant to show a nested functional decomposition.

What I mean is:
1. Online_bookshop is not a reasonable name for an interaction. It would be the right name for a use case boundary (make a use case diagram accordingly, showing who wants to do what with the online bookshop).
2. A reasonable name for an interaction would be "View book description" or "Buy book" - yes these would be good names for the uses cases in your use case diagram. Add associations to the appropriate actors, and add sequence diagrams to the appropriate use cases.
3. You will find that Online Bookshop is also not a useful name for your participant. Now you start to gradually understand what participants (what objects -> what classes) you need to make the system perform the way the use cases require it to. As you define these participants and their messages, Papyrus automatically defines classes with their operations for you.

Any good UML book describes this better than I have done here... wish you good reading!
Re: Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment [message #1786278 is a reply to message #1786259] Sun, 29 April 2018 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Richard,

spreadsheets were originally also not intended to be used as databases ;-)

As far as I can judge, what Yoann requires is covered by the OMG UML 2.5.x specification (please refer to https://www.omg.org/spec/UML/2.5.1/).

/pica
Re: Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment [message #1786279 is a reply to message #1786278] Sun, 29 April 2018 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes Carsten,
As far as I know spreadsheets are *still* not a good way to set up a database &-}
Re: Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment [message #1786280 is a reply to message #1786278] Sun, 29 April 2018 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Double post although I don't know why?

[Updated on: Sun, 29 April 2018 10:35]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment [message #1786281 is a reply to message #1786280] Sun, 29 April 2018 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Richard,
yes, you are completely right, there are much better ways to set up a database. But nevertheless I presume, that spreadsheets are the by far most used DBMS. BTW, both Microsoft Excel as well as Open-/LibreOffice feature ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) and JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) drivers for their spreadsheets ;-)
/pica
Re: Sequence Diagram and Combined Fragment [message #1786367 is a reply to message #1786281] Wed, 02 May 2018 07:32 Go to previous message
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. The online bookshop was just an example to show more clearly the representation (and only this) of what I tried to obtain : a combined fragment into another one. But I should maybe represent a single sequence (potentially related with one guard). Anyway, even if i'm trying to do something that it is not fully intended to be done with pure UML, thank you for the thinking tracks.

Yoann.
Previous Topic:MARTE profile in Papyrus
Next Topic:Export format for Papyrus diagrams .jcd .the .rdf
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:39:29 GMT 2024