Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Won't Open Suddenly (Resolved)(Eclipse 4.7.3 JDK 10..0.1, Windows 8.1 64 bit)
Eclipse Won't Open Suddenly (Resolved) [message #1786057] Wed, 25 April 2018 03:52 Go to next message
Arthur White is currently offline Arthur WhiteFriend
Dear kind , gentle, generous, helpful reader,

So I was happily working with an older version of Eclipse (4.4.1) rand easily migrated to 4.7.3 (with JDK 10) and I have a ton of projects that I was using with 4.7.3. Then I installed Intellij Idea 2018.1.1 and I did not even get to creating a single project in IntelliJ when I tried to open my old workspace to migrate some files to intellij (I wanted to use their UML class diagram synchronization design feature among others like analytics and software metrics tools etc.).

When I tried to open my eclipse projects to see my java source files it gave me an error :
An error has occurred see the log file C:\workspace\.metadata\.log
I open the .log file and this is the error I see there (also attached entire log file - though the main error is pasted here )
:
!SESSION 2018-04-24 23:10:54.245 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=4.7.3.M20180330-0640
java.version=10.0.1
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2018-04-24 23:11:03.058
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.e4.core.di.InjectionException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/annotation/PostConstruct

I looked at the bug report here :
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=493761

and I noticed that the eclipse.ini file does have add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM

set (you can check the attached eclipse.ini).

So any help would be appreciated.

BTW my environment variables just has PATH set pointing to jdk 10 (attaching screenshot of the path variable).

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely and respectfully, a happy Tuesday to all!
  • Attachment: log
    (Size: 726.60KB, Downloaded 206 times)
  • Attachment: eclipse.ini
    (Size: 0.57KB, Downloaded 221 times)
  • Attachment: PathVar.PNG
    (Size: 20.56KB, Downloaded 233 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 25 April 2018 16:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Won't Open Suddenly [message #1786060 is a reply to message #1786057] Wed, 25 April 2018 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

You have "--add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM" in there twice. That's probably not good.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse Won't Open Suddenly [message #1786062 is a reply to message #1786060] Wed, 25 April 2018 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Wed, 25 April 2018 04:12
You have "--add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM" in there twice. That's probably not good.

Thanks for the kind response!
I removed one of them and still get the same error.
Re: Eclipse Won't Open Suddenly [message #1786072 is a reply to message #1786062] Wed, 25 April 2018 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

It's not the only duplicate. Can you do some more clean up and post the new ini file, and a fresh log file (backup and delete the one that's there) if it continues to fail?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse Won't Open Suddenly [message #1786098 is a reply to message #1786072] Wed, 25 April 2018 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Wed, 25 April 2018 07:36
It's not the only duplicate. Can you do some more clean up and post the new ini file, and a fresh log file (backup and delete the one that's there) if it continues to fail?

So I removed maybe one more field that was redundant and attaching the modified ini file and the outcome is the same.
    (Size: 5.88KB, Downloaded 166 times)
    (Size: 0.55KB, Downloaded 195 times)
Re: Eclipse Won't Open Suddenly (Resolution) [message #1786106 is a reply to message #1786098] Wed, 25 April 2018 16:06 Go to previous message
Ok this is unbelievable but I just removed the entire eclipse directory and unzipped eclipse 4.7 again in the same directory and opened it and it worked!

I am including the new ini file and the new log file.

Thank you everyone and praise be to the Most High God! Thank you!

I honestly love eclipse but blame the intellijidea install for these problems.

It is a 640$+ version (ultimate) and I went to use it because it has uml diagram generation and I thought I would be able to view my class diagrams and design the app from a class diagram perspective and then dig into the code (as was the case with rational rose a long time ago) but intellijidea is not good with that at all.

I also wanted to use the analytics and software metrics tools of intellijidea but never got to because when I tried to open eclipse to migrate some code eclipse wont start. (Will try again) but prefer if eclipse has these features.

I am also interested in features where we can embed images and rich media into our source code for documentation and review . I noticed that this lovely IDE provides rich media support for plots, images, and video :

https://atom.io/packages/hydrogen

Would eclipse please implement these features so I may avoid these other ides.

Also I have to use netbeans if I wish to create a swing app (because netbeans has a wysiwyg interface like visual c++/visual basic. If eclipse could include that feature it would be awesome . Thanks!
    (Size: 0.57KB, Downloaded 212 times)
    (Size: 0.95KB, Downloaded 168 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 25 April 2018 19:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Show List - how to clear it ?
Next Topic:Need to salvage my code. Does eclipse have cache of currently opened files?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:33:00 GMT 2024