Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Improve FunctionBehavior editor?(It is possible to improve the editor for the FunctionBehavior elements?)
Improve FunctionBehavior editor? [message #1786039] Tue, 24 April 2018 15:42 Go to next message
Luca Cristoforetti is currently offline Luca CristoforettiFriend
Hi Everybody,
I'm working on an extension of Papyrus and I've been asked to improve the FunctionBehavior creation process.
In particular, it would be nice to be able to add input/output Parameters in the same tab/dialog of the FunctionBehavior creation (see the attached image). The only way I found till now is to add each Parameter by hand via right-click "New Child/Parameter" in the Model Explorer.

My knowledge of Papyrus is basic, so I'm wondering if it possible to modify the plugin that creates the dialog. Would it be possible to replace it with a new implementation or change the source code?

Thanks in advance
Luca
Re: Improve FunctionBehavior editor? [message #1786145 is a reply to message #1786039] Thu, 26 April 2018 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

IMHO Operation Parameter editing crosses the threshold between graphics-good-text-bad and text-good-graphics-bad. Function declarations in Java/... are comparatively easy, lots to see and selective cut and paste works. Function declarations and bodies in every UML tool that I have used vary between minor/major PITA. This is a/the main reason why UML tools are not enthusiastically used by real programmers.

So if you want to make FunctionBehavior better, I suggest looking for a local/global text tendering; a pop-up Xtext edit of one/all Behaviours. You might extend TextUML, or exploit OCL.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Improve FunctionBehavior editor? [message #1786240 is a reply to message #1786145] Fri, 27 April 2018 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Ed for the quick reply.
The suggestion to use a text editor to define FunctionBehaviors is valid and I'll investigate it. But we just had a meeting and it seems a requirement to have also available a graphical way to create the FunctionBehaviors. I am asking you if it is technically feasible to extend/replace the actual plugin that is in charge of creating the dialog.

Thanks
Luca
Re: Improve FunctionBehavior editor? [message #1786248 is a reply to message #1786240] Fri, 27 April 2018 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

It's only software so I'm sure it's possible. But it won't be good.

If you are improving, particularly within the graphical context, I suggest you establish contact with the appropriate Papyrus committer so that your improvements can be exploited more generally. Hopefully that committer will join the discussion.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Improve FunctionBehavior editor? [message #1786482 is a reply to message #1786248] Fri, 04 May 2018 08:06 Go to previous message
Hi,
I solved the problem customizing the UML property view and adding the owned parameters section. It was simple to do: https://help.eclipse.org/neon/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.papyrus.views.properties.doc%2Ftarget%2Fgenerated-eclipse-help%2Fproperties-view.html

Now the dialogue looks like in the attached image. In the lower left corner is possible to add new parameters to the FunctionBehavior.

Best Regards
Luca
Previous Topic:How to programmtically be notified when an element in a sumodel have been manually loaded/resolved.
Next Topic:RESTful model with Papyrus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:27:39 GMT 2024