Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Hot Swapping Doesn't Work
Eclipse Hot Swapping Doesn't Work [message #1785721] Wed, 18 April 2018 20:06 Go to next message
Alex KL is currently offline Alex KLFriend
I'm new to Eclipse and I've been trying to figure out how to use the hot swap feature for a while now.

I'm trying to change the value of a String variable which gets printed to the console in a constant loop, however when I change the value as I'm running the application in debug mode the program doesn't seem to apply the changes, It still prints out the old unchanged value. I have to restart the application in order for the changes to take effect.

I read somewhere that "Build Automatically" has to be enabled, which it is. I also read that "Refresh on access" has to be enabled, which it also is. I also tried to enable "Refresh using native hooks or polling" which didn't work either.

I'm running Eclipse version Oxygen.3a Release 4.7.3a.
JavaSE-1.8

Not sure what to do to make this work.

Here's a short video demonstrating my issue:
(This site doesn't allow me to post links. Just a youtube link though so I guess it's fine? :s)
https://youtu . be/dXrs52kIICI
Re: Eclipse Hot Swapping Doesn't Work [message #1785728 is a reply to message #1785721] Thu, 19 April 2018 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I use this feature all the time, but I only use it when I'm stopped on a breakpoint and am inspecting the stack frames where it's stopped. If I change any of those files, they're recompiled and hot swapped, and then the debugger drops the stack frame to begin at the start of the swapped method.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Hot Swapping Doesn't Work [message #1785736 is a reply to message #1785728] Thu, 19 April 2018 08:04 Go to previous message
Alex KL is currently offline Alex KLFriend
Hm, okay.

I managed to get it to work when I changed the code in another class function.
Weird that it doesn't work directly in the loop though.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 April 2018 08:06]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Register rxJava in Eclipse
Next Topic:How to resolve proxy problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:50:00 GMT 2024