Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse missing plugins on startup(Eclipse needs to reinstall plugins on (nearly every) startup)
Eclipse missing plugins on startup [message #1785686] Wed, 18 April 2018 11:21 Go to next message
Chris Odd is currently offline Chris OddFriend
Nearly every time I start Eclipse, it asks where my workspace is and needs to install my plugins all over again.

===============================================================================
INSTALLATION DETAILS:
I had a few different Eclipse installs on my Mac (HighSierra 10.13.4).
I deleted them all to start from scratch.

I installed:

Eclipse IDE For Java Developers
Mars.2 Release (4.5.2)
Build id: 20160218-0600

When I launch eclipse, it:
- asks where my workspace is, I tell it and check "Use this as the default workspace and do not ask again"

Eclipse - Help - Install new Software
Work with: "The Eclipse Project Updates - http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.5" for
- Click Disclosure Triangle next to Eclipse Java Development Tools
- select Eclipse Java Development Tools 3.11.2.v20160212-1500

Eclipse - Help - Eclipse Marketplace
- Search for GWT Eclipse Plugin 3.0.0
- install it

It needs to restart eclipse, I agree and it does so.
Everything now works fine, until I quit eclipse and later restart.
=====================================================================================
THE PROBLEM:

[Nearly*] every time I launch Eclipse, two unusual things happen:
1) It asks me where my workspace is (Screenshot1.WorkspaceLauncher.jpg), despite the fact that I always check "Use this as the default workspace and do not ask again"
index.php/fa/32631/0/

2) It needs to reinstall the GWT plugins (Screenshot3.ImportWizard.Plugins.jpg)
index.php/fa/32633/0/

There is also an oomph Exception thrown (sometimes before the import wizard comes up, sometimes after): see Screenshot2.Oomph.jpg)
index.php/fa/32632/0/

Expanding on the cut off text: FileNotFoundException: /Users/Eclipse.app/Contents/Eclipse/configuration/org.eclipse.oomph.setup/installation.setup (No such file or directory)

I suspect this is the root cause, as that is not where Eclipse.app lives. Not sure why oomph is looking there.

Once I reinstall the plugins, everything works fine until I quit and relaunch.

* regarding "Nearly"... sometimes if I immediately relaunch after quitting, everything comes up fine without problems (1) & (2)

Appreciate any help!
Re: Eclipse missing plugins on startup [message #1785727 is a reply to message #1785686] Thu, 19 April 2018 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Did you create your installation using the Eclipse Installer? Why do you need to install JDT from http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.5 when Mars.2's Java package should already have the latest JDT 4.5 version? Are you saying the Import Wizard comes up automatically? I've never seen that before. You can try Preferences -> Oomph -> Setup Tasks and enable "Skip automatic task execution on startup". Doesn't Navigate -> Open Setup -> Installation open properly? Is there some particular reason you install Mars rather than Neon or Oxygen (the latest release)?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse missing plugins on startup [message #1785850 is a reply to message #1785727] Fri, 20 April 2018 15:46 Go to previous message
Chris Odd is currently offline Chris OddFriend
Thanks for the reply Ed.

It turned out your questions led me to the solution:

High Sierra "translocates" applications in some cases: https://github.com/potionfactory/LetsMove/issues/56

This was happening to Eclipse. In a nutshell, when an application gets "translocated", a copy of the Eclipse.app package is made in /var/folders, and you run from there.
So my plugin installs were going to this temporary folder and then getting blown away when I quit the app.

For posterity: here are the answers to your questions
==============================================
Did you create your installation using the Eclipse Installer?

I installed by downloading:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/mars/2/eclipse-java-mars-2-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.gz&mirror_id=504

to

~/Development/EclipseReinstall.4.5.2/eclipse-java-mars-2-macosx-cocoa-x86_64.tar.gz

I then simply double clicked on the .gz file and it created the Eclipse.app package in that directory.

Why do you need to install JDT from http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.5 when Mars.2's Java package should already have the latest JDT 4.5 version?
I thought I needed to, but perhaps I didn't really need to. It installed successfully, I wouldn't expect that to cause these types of problems.

Are you saying the Import Wizard comes up automatically? I've never seen that before.
Yes.

You can try Preferences -> Oomph -> Setup Tasks and enable "Skip automatic task execution on startup"
The problem is not that the setup tasks keep executing... it's that the plugins are missing.

Doesn't Navigate -> Open Setup -> Installation open properly?
It does... and it showed that Eclipse had been translocated. This was the key piece of info I needed to solve the problem.

Is there some particular reason you install Mars rather than Neon or Oxygen (the latest release)?
That's what our project team is using
Previous Topic:Unidentified Error in META-INF.MANIFEST.MF
Next Topic:Can't Use Java 10 SDK On Oxygen . . .
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:26:50 GMT 2024