Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Moka and SysML(fUML extended to SysML profile?)
Moka and SysML [message #1785309] Thu, 12 April 2018 10:22 Go to next message
Bruno Costa is currently offline Bruno CostaFriend
Dear folks,

I've been studying the fUML standard and I see that it refers to a subset of UML with formal semantics that defines execution behavior of certain UML elements. It does not provide execution semantics for UML profiles, such as SysML. However, in Moka, it is possible to apply the Classifier Behavior as an Activity Diagram to a SysML Block, which is an extension to UML Class. My question is: since Papyrus Moka is a UML-compliant tool, do you guys have extended the behavior of UML Class to allow the execution of SysML blocks?

I'd like to extend the Moka fUML engine to allow the execution of my profile, is it possible? May I apply the same methodology that you've applied to extend fUML for SysML profile...
Re: Moka and SysML [message #1785331 is a reply to message #1785309] Thu, 12 April 2018 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
fUML has been carefully crafted to have a well defined semantics that enable model execution. SysML is a pragmatic Notation for engineers that does not offer sufficiently precisely defined semantics.

But an Eclipse Papyrus Project may may contain several Eclipse Papyrus models. As a result you can specify the baviour to be simulated using fUML and reference it from a SysML model via package import.

/pica

[Updated on: Thu, 12 April 2018 15:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Moka and SysML [message #1786307 is a reply to message #1785309] Mon, 30 April 2018 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Tatibouet is currently offline Jeremie TatibouetFriend
Hi Bruno -

Please find my answers below

Bruno Costa wrote on Thu, 12 April 2018 06:22

I've been studying the fUML standard and I see that it refers to a subset of UML with formal semantics that defines execution behavior of certain UML elements. It does not provide execution semantics for UML profiles, such as SysML.

[1] - You are right, fUML does not provide semantics to SysML. However PSCS (Precise Semantics of UML Composite Structures) which extends fUML, provides an appendix (see B in [PSCS 1.1]) defining the execution semantics of a subset of SysML limited to Blocks, ProxyPorts and FlowProperties. Note that the appendix is only informative.

However, in Moka, it is possible to apply the Classifier Behavior as an Activity Diagram to a SysML Block, which is an extension to UML Class. My question is: since Papyrus Moka is a UML-compliant tool, do you guys have extended the behavior of UML Class to allow the execution of SysML blocks?

[2] - Moka is a simulation platform implementing fUML, PSCS and PSSM standards. Any model conforming to one of these standards can be executed by the tool. If profiles are applied on the input models then information contained in stereotypes applications will be ignored at runtime. Hence, if you have a Class with the Block stereotype applied and this class has a classifier behavior defined as an activity, then it will be handled has a simple class model with no stereotypes applied.

I'd like to extend the Moka fUML engine to allow the execution of my profile, is it possible? May I apply the same methodology that you've applied to extend fUML for SysML profile...

[3] One strategy to formalize the semantics of your profile is to define a semantic model that is an extension of Executable UML and to implement that latter as a specialization of one of the Moka execution engine.
Re: Moka and SysML [message #1786318 is a reply to message #1786307] Mon, 30 April 2018 19:44 Go to previous message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hallo all together,

An alternative way to solve issue (2) is to model the behavior using fUML models and the structure as SysML model. The SysML model simply imports the fUML models using the package import mechanism.

/pica
Previous Topic:State chart code generation walkthrough
Next Topic:MARTE profile in Papyrus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:29:18 GMT 2024