Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [CDO] Problem with reconnecting CDO Session
[CDO] Problem with reconnecting CDO Session [message #1785300] Thu, 12 April 2018 08:48 Go to next message
thomas huster is currently offline thomas husterFriend
I am using CDO 4.6 from the oxygen.3 repository to create a server with 2 repositories which are accessable via 1 acceptor.

generalAcceptor = (IAcceptor) IPluginContainer.INSTANCE.getElement("org.eclipse.net4j.acceptors", "tcp",
					"0.0.0.0:" + corePort);

On the client side I open a session for each repository using the following code.

private boolean connect() {
		logger.info("Connecting to " + getRepositoryName());
		// Repository
		ReconnectingCDOSessionConfiguration config = CDONet4jUtil.createReconnectingSessionConfiguration(serverAddress,
				configuration.repositoryName, IPluginContainer.INSTANCE);

// Create credentials
		PasswordCredentialsProvider credentialsProvider = new PasswordCredentialsProvider(username, password);
		config.setCredentialsProvider(credentialsProvider);
		config.setActivateOnOpen(true);
		config.setPassiveUpdateEnabled(true);
		config.setPassiveUpdateMode(PassiveUpdateMode.ADDITIONS);
		config.setHeartBeatEnabled(true);
		try {
			setSession(config.openNet4jSession());
			getSession().addListener(new IListener() {

@Override
				public void notifyEvent(final IEvent event) {
					if (event instanceof CDOSessionRecoveryEvent) {
						final CDOSessionRecoveryEvent recoveryEvent = (CDOSessionRecoveryEvent) event;
						switch (recoveryEvent.getType()) {
						case STARTED:
							sendEvent(EVENT_DISCONNECT);
							break;
						case FINISHED:
							sendEvent(EVENT_CONNECT);
							break;
						}
					}
				}
			});
		} catch (Exception e) {
			LoggerFactory.getLogger(getClass()).error("Error opening session to " + configuration.repositoryName, e);
			return false;
		}
		sendEvent(EVENT_CONNECT);
		return true;
	}

When I terminate the server, on the client side I get the following exceptions.

!MESSAGE org.eclipse.net4j.util.concurrent.TimeoutRuntimeException: Channel registration timeout after 10000 milliseconds
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.net4j.channel.ChannelException: org.eclipse.net4j.util.concurrent.TimeoutRuntimeException: Channel registration timeout after 10000 milliseconds
	at org.eclipse.spi.net4j.ChannelMultiplexer.openChannel(ChannelMultiplexer.java:176)
	at org.eclipse.spi.net4j.ChannelMultiplexer.openChannel(ChannelMultiplexer.java:1)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.SignalProtocol.open(SignalProtocol.java:177)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.heartbeat.HeartBeatProtocol.<init>(HeartBeatProtocol.java:70)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.heartbeat.HeartBeatProtocol.<init>(HeartBeatProtocol.java:75)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.heartbeat.HeartBeatProtocol.<init>(HeartBeatProtocol.java:83)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.net4j.RecoveringCDOSessionImpl.createTCPConnector(RecoveringCDOSessionImpl.java:183)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.net4j.ReconnectingCDOSessionImpl.updateConnectorAndRepositoryName(ReconnectingCDOSessionImpl.java:88)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.net4j.RecoveringCDOSessionImpl.recoverSession(RecoveringCDOSessionImpl.java:206)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.net4j.RecoveringCDOSessionImpl.recover(RecoveringCDOSessionImpl.java:124)
	at org.eclipse.emf.cdo.internal.net4j.RecoveringCDOSessionImpl.sessionProtocolDeactivated(RecoveringCDOSessionImpl.java:115)
	at org.eclipse.emf.internal.cdo.session.CDOSessionImpl$1.onDeactivated(CDOSessionImpl.java:186)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.LifecycleEventAdapter.notifyLifecycleEvent(LifecycleEventAdapter.java:56)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.LifecycleEventAdapter.notifyEvent(LifecycleEventAdapter.java:34)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.event.Notifier.fireEventSafe(Notifier.java:167)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.event.Notifier.fireEvent(Notifier.java:113)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.Lifecycle.internalDeactivate(Lifecycle.java:136)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.Lifecycle.deactivate(Lifecycle.java:167)
	at org.eclipse.emf.internal.cdo.session.DelegatingSessionProtocol$1.onDeactivated(DelegatingSessionProtocol.java:93)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.LifecycleEventAdapter.notifyLifecycleEvent(LifecycleEventAdapter.java:56)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.LifecycleEventAdapter.notifyEvent(LifecycleEventAdapter.java:34)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.Lifecycle.internalDeactivate(Lifecycle.java:136)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.LifecycleUtil.deactivate(LifecycleUtil.java:234)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.LifecycleUtil.deactivate(LifecycleUtil.java:224)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.LifecycleUtil.deactivate(LifecycleUtil.java:250)
	at org.eclipse.spi.net4j.Protocol.handleChannelDeactivation(Protocol.java:170)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.signal.SignalProtocol.handleChannelDeactivation(SignalProtocol.java:337)
	at org.eclipse.spi.net4j.Protocol$1.onDeactivated(Protocol.java:51)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.LifecycleUtil.deactivate(LifecycleUtil.java:234)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.LifecycleUtil.deactivate(LifecycleUtil.java:224)
	at org.eclipse.spi.net4j.ChannelMultiplexer.doDeactivate(ChannelMultiplexer.java:316)
	at org.eclipse.spi.net4j.Connector.doDeactivate(Connector.java:391)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.internal.tcp.TCPConnector.doDeactivate(TCPConnector.java:417)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.Lifecycle.internalDeactivate(Lifecycle.java:129)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.util.lifecycle.ShareableLifecycle.internalDeactivate(ShareableLifecycle.java:52)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.internal.tcp.TCPConnector$1.run(TCPConnector.java:430)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.eclipse.net4j.util.concurrent.TimeoutRuntimeException: Channel registration timeout after 10000 milliseconds
	at org.eclipse.spi.net4j.ChannelMultiplexer.openChannel(ChannelMultiplexer.java:167)
	... 48 more
Caused by: org.eclipse.net4j.util.concurrent.TimeoutRuntimeException: Registration timeout after 10.000 milliseconds
	at org.eclipse.net4j.internal.tcp.ControlChannel.registerChannel(ControlChannel.java:102)
	at org.eclipse.net4j.internal.tcp.TCPConnector.registerChannelWithPeer(TCPConnector.java:362)
	at org.eclipse.spi.net4j.ChannelMultiplexer.openChannel(ChannelMultiplexer.java:161)
	... 48 more

This seems to terminate the reconnecting Threads. So no reconnect is happening after I restart the Server.

I can work around this Problem by increasing the timeout.

config.setSignalTimeout(Long.MAX_VALUE);

But if I terminate the server again after the first reconnect, no more recovery events are created, and no recovery is happening.

Another strange thing debugging the problem is, that if I set breakpoints on CDOSessionImpl#hookSessionProtocol and CDOSessionImpl#unhookSessionProtocol methods, the TimeoutRuntimeException is not thrown, and the first reconnect works as expected. The second reconnect is never happening. I could not reproduce the problem within a unit test.

Is there some config Option I am missing, or has anyone else seen the same problem? Or is the setup using one acceptor for multiple repositories a bad idea?

Regards,
Thomas

[Updated on: Thu, 12 April 2018 08:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [CDO] Problem with reconnecting CDO Session [message #1785323 is a reply to message #1785300] Thu, 12 April 2018 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Hi Thomas,

From your small code snippet I can not see the cause of the problem. I've double-checked that our ReconnectingSessionTest is green. You can execute it yourself and compare if something is set up differently. The test case is included in the suite "CDO AllTests (MEM branching TCP)".

It's okay to use one acceptor for multiple repositories, but during the problem analysis I would start as simple as possible until the reconnecting session functions properly.

If you want me to reproduce your problem you should provide some code that I can directly execute.

Cheers
/Eike

Re: [CDO] Problem with reconnecting CDO Session [message #1785333 is a reply to message #1785323] Thu, 12 April 2018 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Eike,

thanks for your quick reply. I can reproduce the problem by stopping the server again after a succefull reconnect. On stop no reconnect events are produced, and no reconnect is happening if the server is started again.

So, first reconnect is succeful, but next reconnect is not happening. Do you already have a test for that scenario?

[Updated on: Thu, 12 April 2018 15:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [CDO] Problem with reconnecting CDO Session [message #1786056 is a reply to message #1785333] Wed, 25 April 2018 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Hi Thomas,

I've found the cause of the problem and fixed it in bug 534014:

ReconnectingSession fails to reconnect the second time
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=534014

Re: [CDO] Problem with reconnecting CDO Session [message #1786150 is a reply to message #1786056] Thu, 26 April 2018 07:46 Go to previous message
Hi Eike,

thanks for reproducing and fixing the problem!

Cheers,
Thomas
Previous Topic:sorting options with resource save api
Next Topic:Customize emf generated genmodel to modify generated model code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 15:39:09 GMT 2024