Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Possible Error in Papyrus
Possible Error in Papyrus [message #1785233] Wed, 11 April 2018 09:59 Go to next message
Eduardo Gutierrez is currently offline Eduardo GutierrezFriend
I cant make nary relationships to generate some code, as i cant mark the members end as Classifier owner.

So i need to represent a 3-ary relation ship, between music professional, a company/firm and date. One professional can have one contract with one company at same date. But one company at same date can have many professionals.

index.php/fa/32580/0/

So:
1 - I think is aknown bug that i cant edit this relationship. When i change one member end ( no matters where, at diagram class or model explorer), it then gets copied in all the rest of the members. Cant write different membresend as in a binary relationship.
Ive reported the bug to bugzilla, but no one has answered.....
index.php/fa/32579/0/
2 - I think it should generate some java code: Perhaps a contract class with one professional, one company and one date ... Not sure how to implement this n-ary relationship... But it doesnt generate anything.... ( Perhaps related to point 1)

3 - Is there any chat/irc to get in contact with any dev ? I have reported some bugs and suggestions, but i dont know if Papyrus is in active development or what.....

Thanks for your great work and to help me...
Re: Possible Error in Papyrus [message #1785236 is a reply to message #1785233] Wed, 11 April 2018 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Tessier is currently offline Patrick TessierFriend
When the association n-ary the end cannot be contained by classifiers.
In n-arry asscoation, the number of end in this case is not equals to number of branches but branch^2. So you have to write several binary associations or class that represnetn the link between all this class exactly as MCD for databases.
Re: Possible Error in Papyrus [message #1785255 is a reply to message #1785236] Wed, 11 April 2018 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eduardo Gutierrez is currently offline Eduardo GutierrezFriend
Thanks for your reply and sorry for my bad english. I just want to improve the great software that papyrus is and the problems im facing in my class with some pupils.

Then i assume its perhaps an error or missing feature in papyrus.... In my opinion Papyrus has to be able to write an nary relationship as explained in the first post, or another example in better English

index.php/fa/32584/0/

Without describing 6 different relationships or adding another class. Perhaps papyrus has to add a "virtual class" contract in the first example ( in the generated code, not in the uml class diagram) and in this second example using teaching. In UML you dont have to write 6 binary relationship when you using an nary relationship. And you can set the multiplicity as described in the text for each member end. This is not possible in Papyrus as far as i know...

Also in a further improvement you could add to teaching an asssociation class, so it would be linked to the n-ary relationship (ex: add an association class date with date begins and date ends of the subject, lecturer and student relation.

Also when you generate the java code you should generate some extra code ( Perhaps as you said create another class with links the n-ary members ends).

Thanks again...

pd:Another example using 4-ary relationship and you dont have to set 8 binary relationships. Also could add a quantity, price, dates in an association class linked to the nary relationship...
index.php/fa/32585/0/

[Updated on: Wed, 11 April 2018 15:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Possible Error in Papyrus [message #1785802 is a reply to message #1785255] Fri, 20 April 2018 07:20 Go to previous message
Patrick Tessier is currently offline Patrick TessierFriend
For the generated code, in fact, this kind of pattern is very interesting. In the present subject we discuss about UML not about its code generation. ;-)

Previous Topic:BDD Diagram SysML
Next Topic:UML.ecore (Meta-Model).
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:59:46 GMT 2024