Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Layer function and StateMachines(Cannot attach State as view)
Layer function and StateMachines [message #1785091] Mon, 09 April 2018 11:56 Go to next message
THEOBALD Maurice is currently offline THEOBALD MauriceFriend
Hello,

I'm trying the Layer function under Oxygen.
It work great with class diagrams.

But with StateDiagrams, you can only attach transition views to a layer.
It is not possible to attach State views to a layer, they does not appear in the view list.

Is there a special procedure for StateDiagrams ?

Regards,

Maurice
Re: Layer function and StateMachines [message #1785107 is a reply to message #1785091] Mon, 09 April 2018 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quentin Le Menez is currently offline Quentin Le MenezFriend
Hi Maurice,

The Layer tool is still incubating so there are situations it might fail to resolve. I am however still working on it so you can expect a new version near September or sooner if I can publish a satisfying milestone.

I see what you mean as you need to proceed manually in the tree (state machine> basic compartment> region> basic compartment> state) in order to select the intended state views which is highly annoying. when you have done this though it seems to be comporting itself as it should but...

I'll add it as a bug and fix it as soon as I can.

HTH,
Quentin

Re: Layer function and StateMachines [message #1785108 is a reply to message #1785107] Mon, 09 April 2018 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THEOBALD Maurice is currently offline THEOBALD MauriceFriend
Hi Quentin,

OK.

Yes, you got the point, the user need to navigate the EMF structure to find the State.
That can be confusing for the average user.

Regards,

Maurice
slightly OT -- What is the intended use of layers? [message #1785119 is a reply to message #1785107] Mon, 09 April 2018 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently online Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Quentin,

I am aware of layers with CAD and graphic tools as well as with OneFact's xtUML tool BridgePoint.

In CAD tools layers are used to separate different aspects of a single drawing.

Regarding graphic tools layers behave more or less like layers in an oil or to be more modern acryl painting.

With xtUML each class has a single, dedicated diagram to be illustrated. As with CAD tools BridgePoint also featured layers to separate different aspects.

Neither UML nor its subset fUML suffer from the restriction a class can only be illustrated with a single, dedicated diagram.

So what is the point in that verry case?

Best regards,
Carsten
Re: slightly OT -- What is the intended use of layers? [message #1785223 is a reply to message #1785119] Wed, 11 April 2018 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quentin Le Menez is currently offline Quentin Le MenezFriend
Hi Carsten,

Sorry for the latency but I still do not know how to be pinged when a subject one answered is updated (if anyone knows you would have my eternal gratitude ^^).

The tool itself will function very much like an graphic tool (e.g. Photoshop, albeit not nearly as complex), The user would be able to apply 'filters', i.e. general rules on specified types of elements, directly to the model or create 'layers' in order to specify graphical elements to be modified.
Regarding the use in UML you can indeed create multiple diagrams but the goal of he tool is to avoid such hassle for the user. He would be able to have the entire model and either iterate on its segmentation, which can of course lead to the creation of new models if he so wishes, or just highlight the parts he wants to focus.

I hope this answers your question,
Quentin
Re: slightly OT -- What is the intended use of layers? [message #1785226 is a reply to message #1785223] Wed, 11 April 2018 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

re ping. Using Thunderbird you may subscribe to the RSS feed, which mostly works. You can then click on the link to see the richer message. Occasionally messages come through very late. Very occasionally the group locks up if an XML-unfriendly subject character confuses the contents list. By default the RSS is a last ten messages poll, which is not enough if you go on holiday; you can edit the poll to the 250 maximum. Thus my Papyrus RSS feed is "https://www.eclipse.org/forums/feed.php?mode=m&l=1&basic=1&frm=121&n=250".

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: slightly OT -- What is the intended use of layers? [message #1785232 is a reply to message #1785223] Wed, 11 April 2018 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Quentin,

so if I understand you correctly the Papyrus layer mechanism is a means to create a multitude of views on a single diagram.

That at the first glance looks like an extremely neat feature to me. But I really wonder, how do I access the layers generating documents using GenDoc?

Best regards,
Carsten
Re: slightly OT -- What is the intended use of layers? [message #1785247 is a reply to message #1785223] Wed, 11 April 2018 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

Hi Quentin,

There is a "Subscribe to topic" at the top of the top of the topic thread.

/Charles Rivet
Re: slightly OT -- What is the intended use of layers? [message #1785248 is a reply to message #1785247] Wed, 11 April 2018 13:50 Go to previous message
many thanks for disclosure that trick ;-)

Best regards,
Carsten
Previous Topic:How to display Message arguments on a Sequence Diagram?
Next Topic:Java code generation from UML Behavioral diagrams
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:53:46 GMT 2024