Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » How prevent Eclipse from overwriting its settings with the Oomph user.setup settings?(I have turned off recording but every time I start Eclipse, it overwrites its preferences with old data from the Oomph ~/.eclipse/.../user.setup file.)
How prevent Eclipse from overwriting its settings with the Oomph user.setup settings? [message #1784894] Thu, 05 April 2018 10:31 Go to next message
Per Mildner is currently offline Per MildnerFriend
How do I prevent Oomph from overwriting my settings? I can find no preference for this in the Oomph settings pages.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 April 2018 10:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How prevent Eclipse from overwriting its settings with the Oomph user.setup settings? [message #1784898 is a reply to message #1784894] Thu, 05 April 2018 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Did you record preferences and then stop doing that? You can use Navigate -> Open Setup -> User to open the User.setup and there you'll see a "User Preferences" folder under which all your recorded preference tasks appear. You could delete that folder to delete all recorded preferences. Or you could resume recording your preference changes here so that your settings are always set to what you want them to be...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: How prevent Eclipse from overwriting its settings with the Oomph user.setup settings? [message #1784906 is a reply to message #1784898] Thu, 05 April 2018 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks. Yes, I experimented with "record preferences" and then stopped doing that (so the saved data in `user.setup` is now obsolete).

I had hoped for a setting, e.g. under "Oomph/Setup Tasks/Preference Synchronizer", to turn off the feature completely in this workspace. I want to turn it off for this workspace, but not necessarily for all Eclipse installations and workspaces, so I really need a workspace-specific setting for this.

As a workaround I made the `user.setup` file unreadable to turn it off globally. Your suggestion, to delete its contents, would also work fine (until I turn on recording in some other workspace).

PS. It seems like a bug that when I change the settings in my workspace (with Record Preferences turned off), Oomph overwrites them with much older settings from the `user.setup` file.
Re: How prevent Eclipse from overwriting its settings with the Oomph user.setup settings? [message #1784913 is a reply to message #1784906] Thu, 05 April 2018 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Recording preferences is unrelated to performing setup tasks; the user.setup in general contains for than just preference tasks. There is a preference to "Skip Automatic Task Execution on Startup"; that will avoid taks being done automatically. It's also possible to disable tasks in the user.setup, so you could temporarily disable the whole task folder and enable it again when you want to apply them again.

Ed Merks
Re: How prevent Eclipse from overwriting its settings with the Oomph user.setup settings? [message #1784945 is a reply to message #1784913] Fri, 06 April 2018 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks.

I am only an end-user of the Eclipse Java IDE (for Java development writing an IDE for my own language), and I do not use or know Oomph. For my kind of user all the workarounds (thanks!) are too hidden, and the default behavior of quietly overwriting my more recent settings reminds me of browser hijackers. This is not a good user experience.

From an end-user perspective [no pun intended] the Settings Recorder is very in-your-face, with little information to guide the decision on whether to turn it on or not. It sounds harmless enough "Record my settings, yeah why not?". Once the end-user gets annoyed by the extra dialog every time she changes some setting, and turns off the recording, all Eclipse installations are broken, including more recent Eclipse installs, and more recent workspaces, since their ordinary Settings mechanism no longer works reliably. This is how viruses behave, and not good PR for something I assume has many good features.

Re: How prevent Eclipse from overwriting its settings with the Oomph user.setup settings? [message #1784960 is a reply to message #1784945] Fri, 06 April 2018 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was the recorder enabled by default for you? When you recorded the first time, did you read the help documentation in the recorder dialog? What should we add to the help information to make it more clear?

Of course the intent is that you can easily turn the recorder on an off, so that you only record things when you want to change preferences that you wish to be that way in all your workspace. When you turned the recorder off, should a dialog pop up to explain that you have recorded preferences? Perhaps with an option to delete them all?

Ed Merks
Re: How prevent Eclipse from overwriting its settings with the Oomph user.setup settings? [message #1785731 is a reply to message #1784960] Thu, 19 April 2018 06:54 Go to previous message
Note that the fact that you don't bother to answer my questions isn't all that helpful. I helped answer your questions, and I'm willing to make improvements, but when there is no interaction from you in terms of how to have made all of this more clear to you (and the next person), I can only guess. If you have time to criticize, you ought to have time to work toward constructive suggestions for improvements.

My guess at this point is that you enabled the recorder, you didn't bother to read any of the information available, so no amount of additional information would actually help you.

I can imagine that when you disable the recorder, there should/could perhaps be a dialog pointing out that you have recorded preferences (if you actually have) and give you the option to delete (or disable them). Of course it would be annoying to have that dialog come up repeatedly, because a common usage pattern is to enable the recorder only when you make changes you actually want recorded and then to disable it when you don't want the changes you're making to be recorded...

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:Central setup file, workspace settings
Next Topic:-XX: Eclipse Ini issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:04:51 GMT 2024