Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Breaking up a domain model
Breaking up a domain model [message #1784383] Tue, 27 March 2018 11:54 Go to next message
Mallika Mewar is currently offline Mallika MewarFriend
I'm not sure if I'm using the right keywords to search for this thing I want because I couldn't find answers and I don't think it's something out of the world that only I would want. Anyway, here is my quick question:

I have a model (Domain Model) that may get really large and I want to break it into different files in the same project or reference them from another project.
I am not talking about the VSM here. I saw that it is possible to reference a domain from another project while building the VSM, which is a good thing. But I could not see how to relate/ reference my elements from Domain1 to Domain2 while doing this.

Really lame example: I want to build a family tree for 3 generations. So I decide to design my domain model for 3 generations in 3 separate files. And then be able to draw in my Domain1 that Dom1.Element1 is composed of Dom1.Element5 and Dom3.Element6. Is this possible?

Would be nice if there are any other suggestions to break up a domain model as well, or if there is any other best practice. (I have gone through the best practices doc for Sirius as well. Couldn't find what I was looking for, but great doc anyway!)
Re: Breaking up a domain model [message #1784482 is a reply to message #1784383] Wed, 28 March 2018 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Monnier is currently offline Steve MonnierFriend
Hello,

In the Model Explorer view, you can navigate in your semantic model and select an element you would like to set as the root of a sub-model. To do that there is a contextual action "Control". This will split the model and set the select element as the root of the sub-model. Note that if there are diagrams with semantic roots among the element that are moved to the new sub-model, a popup will offer the possibility to also split the graphical model (.aird) to place the diagram in a new sub-graphical model.
Note that if you create or drag and drop several model in your modeling project, they will be added to the current session and you will be able to add reference to element of a different model.
Finally, if you are not in a modeling project, the default emf editor have a contextual menu "Load Resource" to allow to load a different model (in the context of the current one) that allows to reference elements of the loaded model.

Regards,
Steve

Steve Monnier - Obeo Canada
Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Re: Breaking up a domain model [message #1784622 is a reply to message #1784482] Fri, 30 March 2018 15:02 Go to previous message
Mallika Mewar is currently offline Mallika MewarFriend
Hi Steve,

Thanks! This is what I was looking for. I'll try it out and come back if I face issues while doing so.

Previous Topic:Meta-diagramming
Next Topic:How to manipulate size of custem widgets in properties view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:48:01 GMT 2024