Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Plugins re-installation on any platform restart
Plugins re-installation on any platform restart [message #1784198] Fri, 23 March 2018 12:19 Go to next message
Luca Berardinelli is currently offline Luca BerardinelliFriend
Dear all,
I am using different Eclipse versions (MARS.2, NEON.3, OXYGEN) in MacOS High Sierra (10.13.3) on top of Java 1.8 SDK.

When I need to switch to different Eclipse installations (e.g., open Eclipse MARS.2, close, open NEON.3), the platform asks me to reinstall many (all?) plugins. If I reinstall that plugins, everything is fine (but known bugs on High Sierra...). If I skip the reinstallation step, Eclipse does not work properly (e.g., missing editors for plugin-specific file types).

Can you please help me to fix this issue?
Thanks in advance,
br

Luca

Luca Berardinelli
Re: Plugins re-installation on any platform restart [message #1784204 is a reply to message #1784198] Fri, 23 March 2018 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm not sure what you mean by "switch to a different installations". It sounds like you have multiple installations or latest I would expect you do and if not, you should just create multiple installations. Then you'd not "switch between them" you'd simply open one or more of them, even at the same time... If you create all the installations using the installer, they'll share most of the underlying bundles; at least all the common ones, so it wouldn't hurt to have dozens or hundreds of installations specialized for different purposes.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Plugins re-installation on any platform restart [message #1784246 is a reply to message #1784204] Sat, 24 March 2018 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luca Berardinelli is currently offline Luca BerardinelliFriend
Dear Ed Merks,
thanks for your reply. I indeed have different Eclipse installations (1 MARS.2, 1 NEON.3 and 1 OXYGEN) for different purposes. In principle, they are independent from each other and stored in different folders with their own plugins their own eclipse.ini file and so on.
It may happen that I test different plugins in each of these installations to choose the more stable one (and it is not so easy using High Sierra).

It happens that I play some time with NEON.3 then I close this Eclipse instance and I decide to open the MARS.2.

When I do so, Eclipse MARS.2 asks for reinstalling a lot plugins.

The same issue happens when, after a work session with MARS.2, I want to reuse Eclipse NEON.3.

Therefore, any time I open an Eclipse instance whose version is different from the last one used, I got this problem.

br,
Luca

Luca Berardinelli
Re: Plugins re-installation on any platform restart [message #1784255 is a reply to message #1784246] Sun, 25 March 2018 07:24 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's not so clear what you're really doing while running any of these installations, but if you create the installations with the installer, the installation's installation.setup references a Product Version from Oomph's Product Catalog, so if you do something that makes your installation no longer actually be a Mars installation, on next startup, the setup engine will notice and try to update (or downgrade) to Mars. But a dialog comes up asking if you want this and you can say no, and you can say to remember that answer. If you're really testing a bunch of difference installations with different combinations of plugins, you'd probably be best to use Oomph to create them quickly and threat them as something disposable.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Type Inference with Eclipse
Next Topic:HttpServlet unavailable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:27:18 GMT 2024