Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Count of Items By Date(Aggregation, CountDistinct by date)
Count of Items By Date [message #1784097] Thu, 22 March 2018 13:26 Go to next message
Kevin Blount is currently offline Kevin BlountFriend
I am trying to create a count of items (meters) in a field. I need the item numbers to pass to a second report or I could use (and have with no issue but doing it removes the item numbers) MS SQL to generate the count. the problem seems to be that BIRT wants to convert the date to something and is failing. This is a simple 2 field report with the second field being the count I need to generate within BIRT.

Click Edit Value/Expression, data type Float, data type Integer, function CountDistinct, expression items row, filter date row

The exception trace and a screenshot of the Aggregation Builder are attached.
  • Attachment: new 1.txt
    (Size: 775.46KB, Downloaded 117 times)
  • Attachment: Capture.JPG
    (Size: 42.95KB, Downloaded 108 times)
Re: Count of Items By Date [message #1784115 is a reply to message #1784097] Thu, 22 March 2018 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard A. Polunsky is currently offline Richard A. PolunskyFriend

I'm confused by your Aggregation Builder picture. It looks like you're trying to get a count of all items on a given read-date, but you don't show the formula that would be required in the builder. If you want count per date, is there a reason you're not grouping the report by read date?
Re: Count of Items By Date [message #1784131 is a reply to message #1784115] Thu, 22 March 2018 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mostly because I really don't know what I'm doing. I never heard of BIRT until a bit over a week ago.

Using the aggregation tool I have the date summary and a count of meters for the date, but still have over 8,000 line items per date. Under Properties\General\Drop I chose Detail which I thought was supposed to drop the details, but it just made them invisible. There are now over 8,000 blank lines between dates. Is there a way to make the lines go away so just the date summary and the meter count show?
Re: Count of Items By Date [message #1784133 is a reply to message #1784131] Thu, 22 March 2018 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard A. Polunsky is currently offline Richard A. PolunskyFriend

You really need to be grouping by date and showing just the date-level summaries, unless of course you need to show detail lines for some reason. It's hard to say without some knowledge of what you need to show on the report and how the data is stored.

BIRT by Example may be a good book for you to get. I no longer have the BIRT books I used when I first had to write and support reports in that tool.
Re: Count of Items By Date [message #1784134 is a reply to message #1784133] Thu, 22 March 2018 18:16 Go to previous message
I can bring the data in grouped from MS SQL, but I need the meter numbers for use on attached drill down reports. If I group in SQL the meter numbers can't be brought in or it creates a line per meter per day or over 1000 lines per day for the 30 day time frame, which is where this data is coming from. The only way I can think to bring the meter data in, have a usable report, and data to link to in further reports is to summarize within BIRT.

I did find how to hide the lines so the summary counts are together, now I have to figure out how to get the data into the bar graph the boss wants.

I appreciate the hints that have sent me in the right directions.
Previous Topic:No preview on BIRT OXYGEN Report Developer-Web Browser fix not working
Next Topic:Averaging 2 columns using PERCENTSUM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:12:52 GMT 2024