Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Using Eclipse for Java EE and RCP development
Using Eclipse for Java EE and RCP development [message #1783776] Fri, 16 March 2018 19:28 Go to next message
Paul Holding is currently offline Paul HoldingFriend
I currently use Eclipse for Java EE projects and plan to start working on an Eclipse RCP project as well and I'm looking for some guidance on how to best configure Eclipse.

I've downloaded the "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers" package but this doesn't seem to include all the components needed for RCP projects and I can't seem to find them using the "Help > Install New Software" option.

Is there a way to install the components from the "Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers" package into the "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers" package or am I better off keeping two separate installations of Eclipse and using one for Java EE projects and the other for RCP projects?
Re: Using Eclipse for Java EE and RCP development [message #1783861 is a reply to message #1783776] Mon, 19 March 2018 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Paul Holding wrote on Fri, 16 March 2018 15:28
I can't seem to find them using the "Help > Install New Software" option.

Do you know what you're looking for? Perhaps the naming is different.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Using Eclipse for Java EE and RCP development [message #1783949 is a reply to message #1783861] Tue, 20 March 2018 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dilton McGowan II is currently offline Dilton McGowan IIFriend
RCP apps can be made using the PDE (Plug-in Development Environment). Use the File menu to create a new Plug-in Project.

On the second wizard page I suggest checking to create an Activator and down below that check RCP (Rich Client Platform). It's also a good idea to enable API Analysis.

On the third page of the wizard, you could choose a template to have more boilerplate to get started, perhaps the Editor template, or no template.

Complete the wizard and you can launch your new RCP application immediately to test it if you want. You could even export it and test it by starting it from Explorer or Nautilus or the CLI.

From here, you "contribute" to your new RCP app, adding Views, Menus, Toolbar elements if you wish or even new Perspectives to contain your Views.

Edit: You might wonder how Eclipse "knows" what your target platform will be? Windows > Preferences > Plug-in Development > Target Platform is where you can set it. You can find various platform profiles for RCP, to target Linux, Mac, etc. You'd download that one(s) you want to target and add them then select the one(s) to build for. It's a little more complicated for the building of the targets and there are plenty of resources online.

Edit 2: For cross-platform, I'd refer to the preferred instructions below, it seems this has changed some since I last did RCP apps:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/A_Brief_Overview_of_Building_at_Eclipse#Cross-platform_build

Edit 3: To answer one of your questions, I usually use one Eclipse installation but depending on the complexity of what I'm working on I have at times had more than one for each major type of work. I also don't use the Eclipse installer, I find it works more clearly for me to use the Package Download and pick what I want.

[Updated on: Tue, 20 March 2018 17:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using Eclipse for Java EE and RCP development [message #1783969 is a reply to message #1783949] Tue, 20 March 2018 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Holding is currently offline Paul HoldingFriend
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 16:25

Do you know what you're looking for? Perhaps the naming is different.

I think that's the problem. I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the list of available software. I was hoping that the at least some of the names would correspond with the packages listed on the Eclipse IDE download web page. Searching for "RCP" in the list doesn't come back with anything suitable. Does the package "Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers" go by another name, or are there several components which I need to download separately.
Re: Using Eclipse for Java EE and RCP development [message #1783971 is a reply to message #1783969] Tue, 20 March 2018 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dilton McGowan II is currently offline Dilton McGowan IIFriend
RCP isn't in a new to be installed list. See my other reply where I detail how to create an RCP app using the PDE (Plugin Development Environment) which should be included in the JEE installation. You can confirm using Help > About > Installed Software and filter on PDE to check.
Re: Using Eclipse for Java EE and RCP development [message #1784040 is a reply to message #1783949] Wed, 21 March 2018 20:33 Go to previous message
Chuck Davis is currently offline Chuck DavisFriend
Yeah, that's where the problem starts. As long as you just want a static model it's a snap. As soon as you want to start doing anything realistic it's impossible to find out what to do. Change what a part is displaying? Good luck. I have not found any good resource that explains more than a basic model project. That's not realistic in the real world.

All links to how to change the model dynamically are welcome. I love the idea of injection but what do I want to inject? Something as basic as the template RCP application with a button that shows how to change what is displayed would go a long way.

>From here, you "contribute" to your new RCP app, adding Views, Menus, Toolbar elements if you wish or even new Perspectives to contain your Views.
Previous Topic:create java project window is empty
Next Topic:Install Software HANA unable to read repository
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:16:01 GMT 2024