Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Minimum "Install New Software" for learning Java
Minimum "Install New Software" for learning Java [message #1783617] Wed, 14 March 2018 15:39 Go to next message
Matthew Ambrose is currently offline Matthew AmbroseFriend
Hi. I am not new to programming but I am new to Eclipse and to Java. I hope the following is not too much to ask for in this forum.

I have a working basic Eclipse Photon install with the Java JDK for SE 8. Now I am trying to identify the names of the minimum needed packages to add to Eclipse using the "Install New Software" feature. By minimum I mean no extra bells or whistles beyond what I would need to learn elementary (console apps, NOT web apps) Java & Eclipse, but would include any needed support for single stepping through code and any important "help" files (for example do I need JavaDocs ?) and "helper" features (like whatever Java/Eclipse uses for Linting & PrettyPrinting code).

Also, I saw a demonstration of Eclipse that had some sort of package or wizard that allowed New Projects to be of various types like "New Java Project". Right now when I click New Project there are no options besides the generic "Project". What is missing?

Thanks in advance.
- Matt

[Updated on: Wed, 14 March 2018 18:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Minimum "Install New Software" for learning Java [message #1783762 is a reply to message #1783617] Fri, 16 March 2018 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

You're probably missing the Eclipse Java development tools. How did you install this, and why the not-yet-released Photon?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Minimum "Install New Software" for learning Java [message #1783771 is a reply to message #1783762] Fri, 16 March 2018 18:05 Go to previous message
Matthew Ambrose is currently offline Matthew AmbroseFriend
Nitin: I didn't realize it was not-yet-released when I clicked the "Latest Version" link for the PortableApps version (a work-in-progress) of Eclipse (which autodownloads from Sourceforge as far as I can tell). See https://portableapps.com/node/55342 for details. I use this so I can use Eclipse on the computers at my college where I am taking an "Intro to Java Programming" course. Our professor recommended Eclipse but the IT Dept is taking forever arranging to install it.

Generally I think the idea of a portable Eclipse is great but I think this Berny23 guy could use a little help making it all work smoothly. Example: users have to manually create a "jre" subfolder and manually put the JRE/JDK files into that subfolder ... there ought to be a better way to tell Eclipse where to look for Java. Also by his own admission he does not seem to know how to auto-determine 32bit vs 64bit Windows (I think his strong suit is linux).

It would be great if ALL or MOST of the various pre-configured download packages (https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/) could be made portable. Maybe in a couple years when I know Eclipse better I can help this happen but I would not object if some folks here beat me to the punch. :)

[Updated on: Fri, 16 March 2018 19:08]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:integration issue
Next Topic:Need Help Running Eclipse to debug C/C++ when running JNI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:39:12 GMT 2024