Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse Application to standalone?
Eclipse Application to standalone? [message #1783532] Tue, 13 March 2018 19:50 Go to next message
Vasileios Trialonis is currently offline Vasileios TrialonisFriend
Hello everyone!

I have been using Eclipse for my Java needs for quite some time now, but I have never really delved deep into it.

I was recently given this project by a friend which makes use of the XText plugin library to act as an IDE for a custom file type.

However, to launch it, I need to open the source of the editor itself in Eclipse and run it as an Eclipse Application which in turns open a separate Eclipse IDE.

I have been looking around for an easy way around this, but to no avail. Is there a way to run said Eclipse Application without having to first open the source of the custom editor and launching it?

Thank you!
Re: Eclipse Application to standalone? [message #1783609 is a reply to message #1783532] Wed, 14 March 2018 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

You haven't explained what you want to do.

If you want an editor then asking for a non-IDE approach is a bit mad.

If you just want some underlying build/parse functionalities, Xtext has those capabilities already. You just call XXXStandaloneSetup.doSetup() to initialize your application.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Eclipse Application to standalone? [message #1783611 is a reply to message #1783609] Wed, 14 March 2018 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your response Ed.

I am not looking to avoid launching the IDE altogether.

Like I said, in order to use the custom editor, I need to open the workspace of the editor, run it as an Eclipse Application (Pic. 1) which then opens a separate Eclipse IDE window (Pic. 2). What I want to do is avoid having to open the workspace of the editor and instead (somehow) launch the editor itself as an Eclipse Application through a shortcut.

Pic. 1
https://i.imgur.com/BNpfaeI.png

Pic. 2
https://i.imgur.com/k3CNU9p.png
Re: Eclipse Application to standalone? [message #1783616 is a reply to message #1783611] Wed, 14 March 2018 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Perhaps you want to call IDE.openEditor() from your code.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Eclipse Application to standalone? [message #1783624 is a reply to message #1783616] Wed, 14 March 2018 16:43 Go to previous message
I solved it by creating a shortcut for Eclipse and adding -data "PATH_TO_APP".

Thank you for your help, Ed. :)
Previous Topic:What to do when a type collides with a package?
Next Topic:internal vs non-internal CompilationUnits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:41:35 GMT 2024