Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Vorto » VR standards for digital twins(Should there be a standard for representing digital twins in VR?)
VR standards for digital twins [message #1783183] Thu, 08 March 2018 21:36 Go to next message
Stan Stringfellow is currently offline Stan StringfellowFriend
I am attempting to startup a digital twins project at Facebook/Oculus, where I work as a tech writer for the Oculus Rift APIs. I hope I'm in the right place to ask some questions...

1. Have you been hearing a lot of interest in applying VR to digital twins? Can you give me examples, companies, use cases, etc? ...to help me sell this internally.

2. Do you think there will be information models for all kinds of mid-to-low end things, that are developed by the vendors of those things? Do you think there will be a plug-and-play world where all of these information models can just plug into IoT networks and services? Can you point me to evidence for all that?

3. Should there be a JSON standard for expressing VR representations of digital twins (e.g. colors, textures, lighting, 3d mesh, audio effects, etc.)? Is anyone already working on this?

4. I think there are a number of standards being developed across vertical industries, correct? Could such a VR standard plug-and-play with these other standards?
Re: VR standards for digital twins [message #1783529 is a reply to message #1783183] Tue, 13 March 2018 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...a lot of views but no responses to this ; - / Is there any effort to produce a VR standard for immersive visualization of information models? Shouldn't there be such a standard? ...in order to make digital twins easily represented in VR, in a plug-and-play manner?
Re: VR standards for digital twins [message #1783531 is a reply to message #1783183] Tue, 13 March 2018 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...a lot of views but no responses to this ; - / Is there any effort to produce a VR standard for immersive visualization of information models? Shouldn't there be such a standard? ...in order to make digital twins easily represented in VR, in a plug-and-play manner?
Re: VR standards for digital twins [message #1784716 is a reply to message #1783531] Tue, 03 April 2018 08:04 Go to previous message
Alexander Edelmann is currently offline Alexander EdelmannFriend
Hi Stan,
Lemme try to answer your questions:
1) No I have not. You are the first one :)
2) That is the idea of Vorto. That vendors provide a Information Models of their devices in a standardized description and publish them in a central repository. Based on the solution developer requirement, developers use the Vorto tooling and libraries to consume these descriptions in their solutions.
3) I totally agree with you , that such a formalized description in the context of VR should be made available. Vorto provides the perfect tool and infrastructure to support this. As of my knowledge nobody is working on that yet. But I think that's a great idea. Currently the problem in IoT is, that everybody provides their own JSON (schema) and thus semantics and passes it around services which in turn need to understand this semantical description. With Vorto, you can standardize this, expressed with the Vorto DSL. Then consumers of VR services would be able to provide higher - level, value-add VR services on top of this schema.
4) Absolutely. There are tons of different IoT standards out there which all come in their own flavors, encoding etc. Vorto's approach is to "glue" and link them together, so that industry standard A, chosen by platform A, can speak to another platform B which speaks a different standard. Technically speaking, Vorto provides a mapping infrastructure whereby you can define how a certain Vorto function block property maps to another specific Standardized property. A Vorto mapping engine is able to consume these mappings and map between these standards.
I do not know the rift api too much, but would it be possible to model VR functionality as Functionblocks with Vorto and use the mapping models to map those to the Rift API ? VR Vorto Code Generators would then help solution developers to integrate this functionality into their apps. Here the focus would not be so much on the technical stubs (which is a nice side effect) but on the VR semantical meta data, expressed as Vorto function blocks.

Previous Topic:Array (list) of function blocks
Next Topic:Usability of Editor for Information Models, Function Blocks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:10:10 GMT 2024